1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Surgery

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Hexagon, Oct 31, 2013.

1. Hexagon

Me again. Anyway, next month, I have the first appointment for what I unfortunately suspect will be the very long process of getting bottom surgery. Given college, the earliest I'll be able to get it is summer 2014, but its likely to be the next summer or the one after, more if waiting lists are evil.

So my question is should I get it? There are lots of things to consider. Firstly, there are two surgeries that are available: metoidioplasty and phalloplasty. Metoidioplasty involves one surgery, making the clitoris into a penis, and putting in testicular implants. It turns out a bit small, but works like a penis. Phalloplasty involves 4 surgeries, taking a skin graft from my arm, making a cock, sewing it on, making a tube to piss through, putting in an erectile implant, since it can't get erections on its own, and taking a skin graft from my ass to patch up my arm. For a number of fairly obvious reasons, I want metoidioplasty.

Unfortunately, the health service here doesn't usually offer it, on the grounds that 'people will want the other one as well'. There is no evidence for said practice, I might add. But I'm hoping to manage to convince them to do it. If they won't I may have to save up and get it done somewhere in europe.

I've never been 100% sure about getting bottom surgery. There are (ofc) risks associated with surgery, ones that I already risked with top surgery. But top surgery was more important to me. However, I am experiencing worsening bottom dysphoria, and I would really like to be able to stand and pee (that might make the whole thing worth it).

Also, I am very interesting in a particular surgery that is rather less common, vaginectomy. Which, duh, removes the vagina. It has more significant risks associated with it, though, particularly excessive bleeding, and it can sometimes go wrong.

So yeah, what do you guys think?

2. Alexander69

Go with the one that you will be most happy with, but also one that is safe. In the end the decision is up to you. My mom has ha many surgeries to enhance her looks nose job, lips done boob job she had her ass done, liposuction, Botox, chin and jaw, cheeks. All I can say is every surgery has a risk it's a risk just going under. I'm always terrified when my mom gets things done especially her liposuction because you can get blood clots.

What I'm getting at is do what will make you most happy but as far as the risks there isn't much you can do but find a good surgeon who's qualified to do the surgeries and just watch for any problems after the operations.

I wish you best of luck and :slight_smile: and I hope everything will work out fine! Most of the time it does :slight_smile:

3. Fiddledeedee

Since you're not certain yet and there will be a while before anything gets done anyway, you could try using a stand-to-pee device in the meantime if you haven't already, and see if you're comfortable with it and how it might work in the long term. A quick search suggests that a simple one costs perhaps £20 and one which can also be used as a packer (note - it may be hard to find one matching your skin tone if you aren't white) costs perhaps £50, although prices vary.

(Also, would you like this moved to the Gender or Health forum?)

4. Hexagon

Tried an STP. Well, about four STPs. I figure there is no point waiting till I'm certain, what with waiting lists and stupid bureaucracy. You know, so long as I'm certain before the surgery actually takes place, its fine.

(Sorry, you can move it to gender if you want. I probably put it in the wrong place)

5. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been trying to learn as much as I can about transition (long story short, I have a role in advising my state's ministers for health about GLBTI health issues, and I don't want to be ignorant about trans* issues), and have found a good number of blogs about bottom surgery. There's also a book, Hung Jury, by men who've had both kinds of bottom surgery sharing their experiences. I bought it for Kindle and found it pretty fascinating, and it seems like all the men who contributed to the book are happy with the surgeries they've had.

I found Metoidioplasty Surgeons - FTM Sex Reassignment Surgery - might give you an idea of who to go to?

6. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Yeah, I'm thinking of getting it done myself. Sometimes, this gives me more dysphoria than my chest. I mean, I can bind the chest. Never was terribly large. But that? Big ass reminder every time I so much as get dressed. I sometimes feel if I had to choose between the two, receiving HRT either way, I'd choose bottom over top.

I'll pull up more resources as soon as I get a chance.

7. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cannot even begin to understand how you feel about dysphoria and such, but I can understand how you feel about surgery itself. I'm just beginning the process of getting approved for weight loss surgery, and I'm already scared shitless about it. I haven't gone under the knife since I was a young boy.

I mean, even though the incision isn't that big, it's just three stitches in the belly button, they still get in there, move your diaphragm, liver, and spleen out of the way to put the band on your stomach, string the fluid port up to the abdominal wall, put all your organs back into place and then close your wound.

I'm already scared and the surgery's still several months out.

8. Hexagon

Which one would you get?

Sorry... I'm feeling a slight need to disagree with you there. I think, eventually, you'd pick top over bottom. Sorry if I'm wrong. But imagine the back pain you had the other day x1 000 000 all the time, even when you took the damn thing off. And not to mention the breathing problems...

9. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's better to have a small and mostly working dick than a big dick that looks like a mangled sausage, but I would wait for something better to come out (What are those researchers even doing with their lives?).
    Good luck with the surgery; I hope it goes well.

10. suninthesky

The problem is that trans* is a minority, and those wanting to get bottom surgery are even a percent of that. Research is either funded by the government (good luck on that one) or private sources. Minorities (like GRS for us, or cures for really rare genetic conditions) have a lot of trouble getting funding because no one is really donating to the cause. Stuff like breast cancer gets a lot of research funding because it affect so many people, and people that know those people donate and raise awareness.

11. toushirojaylee

I dont know what to choose as of now but both surgeries were scary. I've been thinking of starting my transition and getting a top surgery soon..I wanna feel free. And in the future I'll be getting a bottom surgery as well, I can't die without completing my goals as a man. hehehe I think M would be better as of now..Its just that P has a lot of risks..goodluck brother..

12. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The ironic thing is, being trans isn't rare at all. It's actually semi-common. The current estimate? At least 1:500 people have some degree of gender dysphoria. (And that's a lower range!) :confused: Yet many people still cite the old stats from the 1960s. What.

13. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Probably metio. Unless by the time I could finally afford it, options were better. :lol:

Hah. Well, yeah. Top's currently my biggest priority after HRT. Back's already crapping out and I can't simply avoid my chest forever. I dunno. I don't pack but my top dysphoria's gotten a lot more manageable since I started binding. But at the same time, it's like "you can flatten your chest, great. But look down. Yeah. Everyone else is, trying to figure out what the fuck you are." :\ It's silly, I know, but my bottom dysphoria's always been more pronounced than top.

It's like, I can think of my chest as being a problem I can easily deal with in a couple years. Save a few grand, travel to San Francisco, get them chopped off. They don't belong on my body but to me they're tumors I can remove. The junk? It's a leg stump and I'll never have a real leg.

14. Hexagon

Have you tried packing?

Yeah. I also think with meta, you've got a better chance of benefiting from advances afterward. The clitoris pretty much is the penis, or is supposed to be, but phallo means you have to take the clitoral nerve in order to get sensation, so any hope is dead.

Sorry about your back :frowning2: You could always get it done here :wink:

15. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I'd like to pack but probably won't until I move out. Can't think of anything worse than my collection being stumbled upon by my sisters or mother. :lol:

I remember reading about a procedure where they do phallo but instead of a pump system, they take a bone and you have a penis that requires no pumping but remains semi-erect at all times. Ever heard of it? It's fairly new from what I've heard.

Back's always had issues. Not even that bad, especially since I can't bind consistently. Usually only gets to be an issue on school days where I'm wearing it all day, nine to seven pm, and that tends to only be two days a week.

16. Hexagon

That happened to me today. I think. My mother went through my draws (despite me repeatedly telling her not to), and unless she missed out the relevant one, she found two packers, one stp, one packer hidden in a sock and a pump (though she might not have known what that was) *dies*.

At least she's too sex-phobic to mention it.

Ive heard of it. Don't like the idea. I just want one that works like a normal cock. Not to walk around with a permanent semi-erection. And I am definitely not willing to get a skin graft taken from my arm. Might as well just have a pump really :/

17. DhammaGamer

Considering how many FTM men are out there who would pay out the wahzoo for a working package, I'm surprised there aren't more reliable and effective methods. Knowing that SRS is available for me is what keeps me going. I hope you find happiness in whatever decision you decide to take. My best advice is just make sure you find the absolute best surgeon in the world, and make sure you see her or his final product before making your purchase.