1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by AlisonxBrodsky, Nov 4, 2013.

1. AlisonxBrodsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am a transgirl and i am soon to get hormones hopefully as long on the bloodwork comes back good, and i am just really curious about how my body will be affected by the hormones, i know what they do...

---------- Post added 4th Nov 2013 at 11:40 PM ----------

new here so ,sorry if i posted in the wrong place.

2. Jessica79

Hi there the hormones do multiple effects here is a section from the wiki page which will answer your question or you can view it yourself here: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hormone_replacement_therapy_(male-to-female)

Effects of HRT[edit]

Overview
    For trans women, taking estrogens causes among other changes:
    The growth of breasts, with concomitant enlargement of the nipples.
    Redistribution of body fat.
    Thinning of skin.
    For male-to-female transgender people, HRT often includes antiandrogens in addition to the estrogens and progestogens mentioned above.
    HRT does not usually cause facial hair growth to be impeded or the voice to change.
    Partially reversible changes[edit]
    Breast development (may need reconstructive surgery to reverse the effect) [33]
    Infertility, eventually leading to chemically induced aspermatogenesis. The reversibility of this effect depends on the length of time and effects of androgen suppressing substances. Androgen suppressing drugs are not a substitute for other birth control methods.
    Reversible changes[edit]
    Decreased libido
    Redistribution of body fat ( most of time )
    Reduced muscle development
    Various skin changes
    Significantly reduced and lightened body hair
    Change in body odor and sweat production
    Less prominence of veins
    Ocular changes
    Reduced gonadal size
    The psychological changes are harder to define, because HRT is usually the first physical action that takes place when transitioning and the act itself of beginning HRT has a significant psychological effect, which is difficult to distinguish from hormonally induced changes.
    What HRT cannot change[edit]
    HRT cannot reverse bone changes that have already been established by puberty. Consequently, total height, the length of the arms, legs, hands, and feet, and the width/size of the shoulders and rib cage are all not affected by HRT. However, details of bone shape change throughout life, with bones becoming heavier and more deeply sculptured under the influence of androgens, and HRT will prevent such changes from developing any further.
    The width of the hips are not affected in individuals in whom epiphyseal closure (fusion and closure of the ends of bones, which prevents any further lengthening) has taken place, an event which occurs in most people between 18 and 25 years of age. In addition, already established changes to the shape of the hips cannot be reversed by HRT whether epiphyseal closure has taken place yet or not.
    Already established changes to the sculpture of the bone structure of the face are not affected by HRT, nor is the prominence of the thyroid cartilage (Adam's apple) affected. These changes may be reversed by surgery (facial feminization surgery and tracheal shave, respectively) instead.
    During puberty, the voice deepens in pitch and becomes more resonant, effects which are permanent and are not affected by HRT.
    Facial hair develops during puberty, and this is a change that is not significantly affected by HRT. Facial hair may be permanently removed with electrolysis or laser hair removal instead.

#2 Jessica79, Nov 5, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2013