1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bothered by certain pronouns

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Techno Kid, Nov 5, 2013.

1. Techno Kid

It makes me cringe when people (especially guys) use pronouns such as man, dude, and gentleman (directed at me). For example "What's up man".
    Having said that, I don't mind people using "he" towards me. Is it a little weird that I'm only put of by certain masculine words?

Also is it posible to get people to not use these words towards me without coming out?

2. Ruthven

Ah, see I'm glad I haven't use those words with you. I had a feeling they weren't right to use.

I don't think it's weird. I mean, we all have different sort of preferences and all that and sometimes there's really no particular reason why, you know? :slight_smile:

I don't know if there's a certain way honestly. You could try just asking them not to say whatever and leave it at that, but I really don't know.

3. Dapper

I don't think it's strange. I haven't come out to many people with my gender at all, yet most people I know, know to avoid certain words with me :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: beautiful, for example. All of my female friends refer to me as handsome, or just cute, but never beautiful or pretty. They know it makes me cringe without my having come out. Good luck! Hope this helped :slight_smile:

4. LD579

Dude, bro, man, sir, gentleman... all of those (But especially the former 3... I can't stress that enough) make me squirm a little. I don't think it's that odd at all.

5. Saint Otaku

I do agree with the former three also. "Bro" reminds me of several times I'll be working the front counter at my job, and some guy just calls me "Brother", as in "thanks brother," and I'm like, "Okaaay... stranger..."

I'm a bit old-fashioned, so I don't mind the "sirs" or "gentleman." Actually, I prefer it.