1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Parental Units, P.U.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by An Gentleman, Nov 5, 2013.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Great. My parents have said a lot about me, but this one takes the cake.
    I'm a disappointment, unnatural, I have a death wish, why aren't you normal, blah blah blah stfu n00bs blah. (Those are things they've said about me.)
    Now my father is saying that I'm only pretending to be transgender so I can have a group to fit into! The insane troll logic that must have been used to come to that conclusion eludes me, but I'm still pretty angry about this.
    For once, I'm postive about something. I'm a guy. I don't want to be a girl in any way, shape, or form. Living in a liberal state (albeit in a somewhat more conservative area) has allowed me to come out to some of my teachers and friends. Some of my friends occasionally make jokes about it, but they're otherwise accepting, and my aunt and uncles are accepting...
    Why not them? :confused:
    What am I going to do about them? It'll be harder to get treatment at my age without their approval.

2. suninthesky

How long ago did you come out to your parents? Sometimes people need time, more than others. Sometimes, parents do things that come across ridiculous, and might be different than their intentions.

For example, when my mom used to try to get me to wear feminine, tight-fitting clothes and all of that, I felt like she wasn't accepting who I was. But I later realized how much she loves me and wants me to be happy. She wanted me to change so that I wouldn't get grief from the rest of the world, and so people would treat me better. She just wanted the best for me, and even though at the time it hurt, her intentions were good.

Your parents seem to be working through some denial and bargaining emotions. Your dad's way of trying to say that you're not really part of the group because you just want to be part of the group is his way of bargaining.

I know it's hard, but try to be patient - not for their sake, but for yours. The fact is, they aren't acting very accepting right now, and that hurts. The fact also is that they'll need time, and you have to find a way to cope with the fact that they will need time. It's hard. Being patient when people just hurt you over and over is hard, but in the end you'll be better for it, and I know you're strong enough.

3. biggayguy

My parents said it was a fad to be bisexual these days. They just never realized how many people were in the closet. There seem to be more transgender people "out" as well.

Is there some way you could get treatment through the school counselor? Explain to the counselor it's unlikely that you can get parental permission. They may be able to point you in the right direction of help in the community. The local PFLAG people had a very tender spot in their heart for me. Maybe that would help you.

4. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I came out to them in the middle of eighth grade. I'd say, eight or nine months ago...
    Earlier than that, I had asked my middle school counselor to help me find someone. It... didn't work.
    Now that I am in high school, I should probably acquaint myself with the school counselor here.
    I'll make a post about how that goes tomorrow.

5. Max630

Just wanted to say we're behind you here! I think it was incredibly brave of you to come out at such a young age. I also think that getting to know your school counselor would probably come in handy. Good luck tomorrow!

6. Grimm

You're infinitely braver than I was in eighth grade, or even all throughout high school.
    Good luck tomorrow! (&&&)

7. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry for the late update on my status.
    It's been a hectic 2 weeks.
    I've signed up to Meet the School Counselor and I'm going to a new therapist on Monday.
    Hopefully this goes well.

8. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Another update.
    I met with the school counselor. She's supportive of LGBT rights, but she can't really help me find a therapist. Damn. I'm going to another place on Monday; I hope I'll get somewhere this time...