1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tesosterone Blockers?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by twospiritlycan, Nov 5, 2013.

1. It it bad just to only take Testosterone blockers without Estrogen. I'm worried about going through with HRT. I haven't seen any gender therapists about my feelings, but I have mentioned to my social worker. I'm honestly creeped out by my body hair and I really feel scared about looking more male than female later on. I really don't like the ideal of being a guy, and I usually never fit in with other guys. I often imagine and ask myself what would it be like. I get anxious because some people say they usually regret transitioning.

2. Hexagon

Taking hormone blockers without hormones for extended periods can have a negative effect on bone density, but in the short term, I think its fine. You'd need to either go of them or take estrogen eventually. Testosterone blockers won't reverse the effects testosterone has already had on your body, though.

I've never met anyone who regretted transition, and neither have I heard of anyone who has, so I don't really know where you heard that.

Anyway, regardless of you're final plans regarding estrogen, if you want blockers, you'll have to see a therapist :/

3. justjade

From what I've read the only way to get rid of body/facial hair is electrolysis. I don't think testosterone blockers would do anything for that. As far as regretting transitioning, just do what you're comfortable with. I'm only taking steps that are reversible so far to get my feet wet, so if you'd rather do that, then go right ahead. Take it one step at a time. Rushing is what can get you into trouble.

As far as testosterone blockers without hormones, Hexagon is right. If your body doesn't have a dominant sex hormone, your bone density will inevitably suffer. You'll definitely need estrogen at some point, but from what I've read about transitioning from male to female, you'll need testosterone blockers, too, since testosterone is such a potent hormone.

4. DhammaGamer

T-blockers aren't going to cause any reversal in body hair or any significant feminization, but it can help in slowing future masculinization. Estrogen on the other hand has been very effective for me at eliminating body hair, causing redistribution of body fat, softening of skin, breast development, and most importantly has caused significant changes in my emotional and psychological health. I only did Spiro for one month prior to starting on estrogen so I'm not sure what, if any, effects may be expected.