1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can you control trans thoughts?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Minnie, Nov 7, 2013.

1. Minnie

What I'm getting at is this: is being transgender something you can't choose, like your sexuality? Sometimes I feel more like a boy but I'm happier when I feel like a girl. It's really only when I acknowledge that I find women sexually attractive that I get like this... then again, I used to be boyish before realising I'm gay but didn't think much of it.

2. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Just like being gay, being trans* is no choice. However if you fluctuate between male and female you may want to look into what being gender-fluid is. If your attraction fluctuates you may be bisexual, or even pansexual.

It's no choice being trans*. You can try to brainwash yourself out of it...but trust me...it doesn't work.

3. justjade

Sure, you can ignore them now, but as time goes on they will come back with a vengeance later. Embracing who you are can be hard, but if you do it now, you'll thank yourself later that you did.

4. Hexagon

Nope, I can't control being a man. Its who I am.

5. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Nope. I tried that. Didn't work.
    But I don't think you're transgender.
    Have you heard about the people who are "genderfluid"?
    They sometimes feel like they're one gender, and sometimes they feel they are another gender.

6. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Once it dawned on me that it was socially unacceptable for me to be a boy, I tried to be a girl really really hard, but even though I have some "feminine" interests and characteristics and actually really like dresses, there was always a little voice in the back of my head going "yeah, but you're not a girl though". I tried to ignore that voice so hard that once I finally admitted it was there, I almost couldn't handle it for a while.

It's definitely not something you can choose to experience.

7. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like with your sexuality, being transgender/cisgender IS NOT a choice. Either you are or you aren't. As someone mentioned, you can ignore it...but eventually it will bite back hard (personal experience).