1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Brainwashed into Trans?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cynder, Nov 9, 2013.

1. Cynder

So, the other day someone told me that I wasn't really trans. They said I am just a girl who is attracted to gays and therefore have just pushed myself into being trans. This just really upset me, especially because every now and then I do doubt my gender, and I am bisexual so yes, I can find gay guys hot. But it just made me feel really bad and I see this person around and I have no idea what to say to them. Is it even possible to brainwash yourself into being trans? Or into being cisgender for that matter?
    So what should I do?

2. Nick07

Hmm, the politically correct thing would probably be to tell you that that "someone" is an asshole.

They probably are.

On the other hand, during teenage years many people question everything. Then there is also the fact that some people are genderfluid. In several years you can be perfectly OK with being a woman. Or not.

All I am saying is, questioning everything is fine. Don't rush into anything. Don't be afraid to take a step back and think again if your previous decisions suddenly don't feel right.

You asked if people can be brainwashed into being trans*. I would say yes, but it would be too strong. But people can be pushed into transition either by the others or by themselves - because they had said something and later were afraid to take it back, even though they felt that their opinion changed.

You don't need to explain anything to them. Or just say This is how I feel right now, deal with it.

Doubting is fine. You don't need to prove anything to anyone (*hug*)

3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That person's just a dick. It's like the people who say you're just confused when they are in fact, the ones who are confused by your gender. Fuck that guy.

4. musicrebel

I don't think it's possible to brainwash yourself into thinking you're trans. That person is just phony. You know who you are and you shouldn't doubt yourself just because of someone else's opinion about you. They don't know how you feel and whatnot, so they don't have the right to say that.

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ok, number 1: even when I was presenting as female, I somehow had a track record of dating gay men/having gay men feel weirdly attracted to me - both closeted and open. Which I guess means you don't need to brainwash yourself into being trans to score dates with gay guys, you just need to be remarkably lucky. :icon_wink So you can rule the "you're just a girl that likes gay men bah!!" argument out, if it's putting doubts in your head.

Number 2: nobody, and I mean nobody, other than yourself can tell you what your gender is. If you came up to me and told me that your gender was spoon, I couldn't refute it. That being said, it's ok to be a little doubtful now and again, in fact I think it's normal for non-cis and questioning people to have a little doubt sometimes. As long as you keep doing what feels right and normal for you, you'll be fine, and over time, you're bound to be more sure of yourself.

Number 3: gender brainwashing? Really? I tried convincing myself I was cis for years, and it just didn't work. You are what you are, no matter what other people try to tell you. (*hug*)

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Technically, everything is possible.
    But being brainwashed into being transgender is like eschewing video games for essays- it's not a thing that happens.
    As long as you know who you are, you should have the freedom to be yourself.

7. justjade

Damn, man, I'm sorry. Why would anyone say that to you? That's just unsupportive and, quite frankly, it's pretty rude.

Speaking as a fellow transguy, I think we all doubt our gender at one point or another. Everyone's different. Some people realize they're trans and never look back. Some take longer and have doubts. If you see this person, I wouldn't say anything unless the topic is brought up again. Then, feel free to call that person an asshole for even having the gaul to say such things. Otherwise, just let your actions and behaviors do the talking. So-and-so will see in time.

8. Skyline

People like that come up with these insane accusations because they can't undrstand what it's like. Most of us know we are trans from something deep inside us, something that people without it can't imagine--that's why they don't understand it, and they try to explain us with terms they do understand.

I think outside influences only really serve to make us aware of our inner feelings--they don't brainwash us. I could be wrong, I mean anythings possible. But I still think the majority of trans people have to be for a bigger reason than that.

Just remember that you know more than this person when it comes to what you feel. They are only able to project their own experiences onto you, and that makes them automatically unqualified for judging you.