1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Femboys

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by gravechild, Nov 10, 2013.

1. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So while browsing through various blogs and sites, I came across the term "femboy", apparently a catch-all for young biological males who express themselves in a noticeably feminine way. I saw a few pictures, too, usually involving young men with medium length hair, small and slender builds, and partial or full female attire. It was quite nice, considering for how long I've been wanting to know if there were a specific niche and name for the look I've been emulating. For the longest time, "twink" probably came closest to describing me, physically, but that seemed more exclusive to gay males, and described only my physical attributes, and less gender expression, while this is a lot more specific.

I wouldn't mind describing myself to others using this term, even if I don't necessarily see myself as strictly male, but also started thinking if someone else would avoid similar terms, simply for the "boy" part, for example: a pre-everything MTF, or an older person who could no longer pass for a young boy anymore. Again, a reminder of just how much importance youth and fitness play into our ideas of attractiveness, which makes me think how fortunate I am, since I'm naturally small, androgynous, and feminine, to some degree.

What I'm wondering is, how many of you have heard of the term, and can it be applied to you as well? Androgyny (and gender bending, in general) seems to be very common in the LGBT community, perhaps more so in the transgender community. It should seem "duh" that there would be a male counterpart to tomboy, and I knew they existed, but didn't know there was a name, definition, and loyal following, and maybe the taboo nature of MAAB individuals crossing over is a lot more taboo and less talked about, therefore known.

It's not cross dressing if you fall outside of the gender binary, but I see myself mixing and matching "male" and "female" clothing and accessories, rather than expressing myself in a fully female manner, more often. I actually get a sense of pleasure by throwing people off, or being told I look like a member of the opposite sex, since it's more of a compliment, honestly.

I also wouldn't mind dating one, myself. :icon_redf

2. TheUglyBarnacle

Use whichever label you feel fits. I am also gq and identify as a dyke/gay, both of which imply that I am female (given my preferences). If you feel that you can identify with a certain term, do so. That's why labels were invented, so that you can explain your feelings.

As for whether I know the term, yes, I am aware of it though I wouldn't say it is that common. There is a femboy community on Reddit that I've heard good words about.

3. Gen

Gen

The thing that I would be cautious of is that this term is largely used for sexual/fetishization purposes rather then genuine description. Its often not simply relating to the presence of a more feminine nature in a male, rather the connection is more towards the stereotypical subordinate, domestic female mold. Thus why regardless of age they are referred to as "boys" and their counterparts "Men", because it's not they are more effeminate in demeanor, rather more like sexualized ingenues. So, I would just caution using it because it has extremely festishizing origins.

4. TheUglyBarnacle

Just looked this up as I had never heard of it that way and Gen's right. It does have fetishization implications but the community I was referring to (turns out the name of the community is feminineboys) do call themselves femboys sometimes. Maybe it's no longer used solely for sexual purposes? I'm not sure. :/

5. Gen

Gen

Oh, definitely not always. I'm just saying that there is a strong connection with that word and various fetish communities. So, I personally would err on the site of caution when using that term to describe oneself in a serious manner, because you might be misunderstood.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the heads up, Gen. I noticed a lot of the images that popped up on Google were sexual in nature, but a lot of online definitions made no mention of the word's origins or connotations, so there were still a few questions.

It is a bit disappointing to hear of this; almost like anything feminine expressed with males has to be this strange, kinky taboo, whereas no one really questions tomboys, at least not to that extent.

7. oh my god I

I don't like the sexual connotations and I do not understand them. I remember when I wanted to present more boyish, because I do not like being trans... though I would never want to present masculine, I found a community of femme boys and the atmosphere was very sexual. That bothered me so I didn't want anything to do with it. Sorry I don't have much to contribute... D:

8. Robben

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am an original pretty boy. You discuss androgyny with some experience. There is a sense of supplication that prevails in my emotions, as to why I feel a reason to have a female orgasm myself. This comes from a painful disposition of envy and jealousy to a feminine beauty that I find attractive. I believe we are not far from the age when many men will stop hiding behind the fact that they are envious of many women. As we begin to dress and behave in the roles of gender that are most useful to us. I did not have a positive experience with the male gender role models in my family and with others who thought I was being naive. The challenge I face is that I attract men the way a girl does, who is still searching for manhood amidst homosexuality. Is there such a thing as authentic manhood, or is this a privilege that effeminate men lose in their desire to rise above.

9. g4563

g4563 Guest

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    my name is gen too but it's my nickname as a child. maybe the school shortened my name or maybe i shortened my name myself but i can't remember who chose to shorten my name.

10. NYCMascMan

NYCMascMan Guest

definitely have heard the term...I am not sure what percentage of femboys are gay ...and there seem to be many Genetic Women attracted to femboys. I am a masc man who appreciates femboys but there's no way that word could be used to describe me. (too hairy and too masculine)

11. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I've used it before. However since although they have the appearance of beautiful women, quite a few of the men I am into are most definetely not young boys, I don't use it much anymore. It's hard to call a 30-40 year old man a femboy, no matter how pretty he is.. Haha

The word could be used to describe me, but I do not use it for myself, as I am not feminine. I have dressed up feminine, worn feminine attire (though like you I especially prefer androgynous styles). But otherwise I am not a feminine person.

I prefer the term "androgynous boy/male" when referring to myself.

12. jAYMEGURL

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Gravechild;

Yeah, I've heard of the term " fem-boys ", and I suppose it applies to myself,
    but I prefer to consider myself trans-gender-ed or a cross-dresser.

Fem-boys, from what I've seen are way too pretty, naturally. I'm not built like they are, a very pretty face, big muscles, a perfect abdominal area, great legs, a perfect ass.

I'm a small breasted 40-d cup,big thigh-ed trans-gender-ed woman. Yes, I wear pretty makeup, but I would not consider myself a FEM-BOY.

But I'd love to date you,

Jaymegurl

13. NingyoBroken

NingyoBroken Guest

I would assume "femboys" are not supposed to have big muscles. It would look awkward and unattractive. They should have slim bodies.

Also you sound hot.

#13 NingyoBroken, Feb 22, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Feb 22, 2015
  14. LordHeadbanger

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have heard of the term. The term doesn't apply to me, as I'm pretty hairy and masculine, though I am quite skinny. I've found that I am really sexually attracted to femboys in a similar way that I'm attracted to trans women (pre-op/non-op). I haven't had much of a chance to do any dating, but if the opportunity arose to date one, I would try it so that I can be more sure of my feelings.

15. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    I heard of the term very recently; and yes, I certainly think it is not to be applied to MtFs, ever, unless they are explicitly okay with it. I know I'd be furious. Livid. Murderous.

#15 Invidia, Sep 25, 2015
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2015
  16. Ineedmywaifu

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yep, it goes farther as a more fetish category type word to use in the online system. Honestly I love femboys for their cuteness and I have a thing for them. Though I don't mix them up for trans* or even guys that are born with feminine characteristics and want to be known as men. It's more of if they describe themselves as femboys themselves, can dress girly and show it off <3.

I think you should rather call youself a femme boy or effeminate instead if you're not really trying to get others to see you like that.

17. Eveline

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A pre-everything MtF is considered to be female, like Becki I would be really really unhappy... this is an old thread and I hope that by now no one would seriouly think that it would be ok to call someone trans a femboy...

18. HardToSay

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You know, I can really associate with your words and feelings, i.e. about wanting female orgasms and envy/jealousy towards female beauty that I find attractive.

I notice women a lot, I notice their femininity, I study it... I thought that was an indication I was not really gay, I thought maybe I was indeed attracted to women, although I did not want to have sex with them...

I just want to be like the women I admire... Anybody else feel this way?