1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dad sure knows how to mess my mood up

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by MrSmooth, Nov 10, 2013.

1. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Dad sure knows how to mess make someone feel good about themselves

Well he accepts me and is willing to take me to see a gender therapist, But last night he said that he hopes I don't look Fu**ed up after T, The he goes on to say that Ill never have what he has and that Ill never have the real thing, He sure knows how to make someone feel good about themselves smh!

#1 MrSmooth, Nov 10, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  2. Ruthven

Wow that's pretty messed up. But hey, at least he's letting you take T (right?) I know what he said hurts, but as long as he doesn't try to stop you, just try to ignore him.

3. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yea I guess your right

4. Tayb24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey MrSmooth (<3 the username) it sounds like your dad is trying to protect you (in his mind at least). He is probably thinking of trans* people in a very stereotypical way that is not consistent with reality. This means that once he sees you transition a little more and can see that his fears are unfounded, he will probably come around.

The process is really tough on parents, I know it is MUCH tougher for us, but they have generally had a lot less time to process things. When I first came out to my mom when I was 18, I ended up going back into the closet because she took it so hard, and was very fearful that I'd end up with a horrible life. I did end up transitioning a few years later though and eventually she came around.

If your dad is letting you transition then I would say it is likely he ends up coming around too, it just may take a bit.

5. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Well he did say its hard on him, He also said that if you want to be my son then fine, But he didn't have to that far with it

6. TheUglyBarnacle

I don't have personal transition experience but what Tay has said sounds very accurate.
    Your dad's letting you transition so he's already accepted your identity in a way. He's just scared for you. Maybe because you'll have to deal with a lot in the medical aspect of things or because he knows the treatment most trans* people are subject to in our society. I think he was venting out his frustration on you, rather than trying to make you feel bad. That does not excuse him by any means but try to ignore that stuff. He will probably come around once he sees how happier you are once you start T.

7. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That's also true

8. Ruthven

Yeah, this is also a good sign here along with the letting you take T. I agree with the others, chances are good he may come around.

9. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Well he is around he doesn't live with me but we go out every know and then, He gets me to school everyday so yea.....

10. Ruthven

No I mean "come around" as in at some point really accepting you. :slight_smile:

11. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh well yea I believe he will unlike my mom

12. justjade

Re: Dad sure knows how to mess make someone feel good about themselves

That's seriously fucked up, dude. He has no business saying shit like that. Besides, having "the real thing" doesn't make you a man. And as for looking fucked up after taking T for a while, yeah, you'll look different, but you'll just look like you but hairier from what I've read. You know who you are and what you want, and fuck what anyone else thinks.

But at least he's taking you to see a gender therapist. That's a good step forward.

13. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

No one looks different after testosterone sets in just facial hair and more shape to my face besides muscle mass Ill pretty much look the same lol if not better(!)

14. justjade

Yeah, and from what I've heard and read, facial hair doesn't even come in very thick for at least a year, but everyone's different. I'm sure you'll look even better than you do now, and you'll have the extra confidence to back it up. :thumbsup:

15. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people

Lol that's what I tried to tell my dad they will see though

16. suninthesky

You should've told him that you will probably end up looking like a younger version of him.

Just kidding, I don't advocate talking back to parents, especially ones that are willing to let you get on T.

I would talk to him man to man, and let him know your fears, but also let him know that you know yourself better than anyone and that you know it's right for you. Let him know how appreciative you are that he's letting you do this, and that it'll be a lot easier doing it now than it will be if you have to wait until you're 18. Try to reassure him that he's doing what's best for you - a lot of parents will second-guess if they are doing the right thing or not; I'd imagine it's not an easy decision to make as a parent. Keep your head up, buddy.

17. MrSmooth

MrSmooth Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Lol well I have to wait till I'm 18 because I live with my mom not him and she doesn't agree

18. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ha! A response after my own heart! :lol:

Seriously, what he said is kinda messed up, but I agree with what everyone else has said so far - he'll probably come around once you're well on your way with your transition, which is good! Good luck with your therapist! :eusa_clap