1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on being transgender as a minor and in a residential dorm setting.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by sometimebefore, Nov 12, 2013.

1. sometimebefore

Hello,
    I am a nearly seventeen year-old senior at a residential high-school. I am openly pansexual, which isn't really an issue for me here, as the community is very accepting of (I hope by using this collective term I am not causing any offence) non-traditional sexualities. However, I have not come out as trans. This is for a few reasons. First is that I am still coming to terms with it on my own and second is because I don't really want to be put into any stereotypes that I will not fit into, since I would still, until I transitioned, primarily dress as a male. At over six feet tall, and broad-shouldered, I feel that without the characteristics of a female body, I would look better in male clothing.

I am not, however really writing about that. What I am more worried about is what experiences people have had while transitioning during high school and college, especially while living in a dorm. I think that i would be able to work out an understanding with the college itself, so that it would create a situation that I could tolerate, however, I have a different conundrum. If I end up going to the school that I currently want to, and if one other person I know gets in (which I believe is likely), I will have a rooming situation that I will request (knowing the risks of having an unpredictable rooming situation).

Both of of my potential roommates are good friends of mine, but know me very well as a male, and I am sort of unsure about how me transitioning as their roommate would work out.

I guess that I would like to have some stories about transitioning during college, and possibly as a minor, and what that was like with roommates, and the people you knew, especially if you would come out to them in the middle of the process.

-Thanks in advance for any information/advice you could give me.

-Clara/Andrew

2. EscapeArtist

I'm afraid I have very little to offer, but your journey intrigues me. As someone who struggled greatly with coming out, I can tell you it's best to do it when you're ready and not a moment earlier. It's important to evolve into a loving acceptance for yourself. This will give you the strength to deter negative reactions. Also, think about it. What is the worst that could happen if your roommates become uncomfortable with your true identity? Relocation maybe? And that might be for the better. Keep an open mind. Best wishes.

3. suninthesky

I'm in the middle of coming out in college right now. I'll add what I can, but I am short on time now. I just don't want to forget, so I'm posting here.

4. Tayb24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I have a little experience in the area, though only a little in a residential dorm setting. At my old college, I was at the dorms there when I first went on a low dose of HRT. It was really easy and definitely manageable without anyone finding out. I had to be super careful when I went to the shower though once my boobs starting coming in a bit, but it was still manageable as they were really just barely starting to develop. There is no way in hell I was coming out to my room mate then either, not that we talked much at all. He was kind of socially...weird lol.

Then I came home from my college and started going to CC to afford transition. I spent all last year going there as a guy and was able to just wear a sweat coat all year to hide my chest. Something to watch out for is at some point in transition, it will become obvious that you have boobs, but that won't be until quite a bit of time (1 year + for me).

As far as actual experience in college after being full time, I am attending school as myself for the first time this quarter at community college and even though I have some classes with people who knew me before, I am largely gendered correctly which has a positive impact on my school experience, though I suspect that some people suspect I am trans based on someone occasionally staring at me. It's when you hit full time though that you really begin to realize the privileges you no longer have.

Like for instance, I choose to not use any of the bathrooms at school and just use my bathroom at home instead (which is super close though), as even though I seem to pass decently I know people that school who knew me from before and don't want to deal with running into them in the bathroom. Also, having my legal name on a lot of stuff really blows, so I recommend getting that taken care of soon after going full time. I pretty much have no desire to check out a library book ever again because my legal name is in their system and I need to use it to check out a book. I don't really need to ever check out a book though so it doesn't really matter. I don't really come out to people, but I mean it's not like it's a topic that comes up a lot either. Anxiety at first also sucks, but the longer I'm in school the more comfortable I am getting.

Overall though, I'd say my experience at college thus far has been pretty good, and I'll be moving back to a university (thought not my old one) in Jan at the dorms so maybe I can give an update then.

Well anyway, hope some of my experience helped in some way or gave you some insight into what to expect in a college transition. Btw, I started hormones when I was 20 and I am now 22, just for age reference.

5. sometimebefore

Thanks for your response, that gives me quite a bit of information. I'm not really enthralled with the idea of switching schools, as I am quite set on a career that does require a lot of education (R&D really likes doctorates). I would prefer to not have to spend a long time at several different universities. I hope to start hormones either before my high school graduation or at least before I start going to college. It all depends on when I come out to my family. If I come out to my potential roommates before any decisions about rooming have to be made I will be able to find out if being trans would cause any issues, but that would require actually trying to decide if I am ready to come out to a person I don't trust completely and unconditionally (like the one friend that I have come out to and my parents, even though I haven't come out to them yet).

I only recently started actually figuring out my sexuality and gender identity (but knew I wasn't 'normal' for a good long while beforehand) and while it was easy for me to be open about my pansexuality, it wasn't quite the same when I began to understand that I was trans. In my college supplement for merit aid (which I am finagling so that my parents won't read it) I actually come out to the college (since it doesn't use it for admissions, only for the awarding of aid, which I don't necessarily need, but will be nice) and if the university (Worcester Polytechnic Institute) is helpful, I guess that all of my worries will be unfounded. I just am not used to having so much of my life be completely out of my control like it is now (This was sentiment actually caused a mental collapse a few weeks back when I first applied and came out to my friend).

I apologise for the--probably confusing--number of parenthetical statements in the preceding paragraphs.

I guess that one of my other things is about just starting the therapies etc. What stories do you all have about starting therapy? Who (non-specifically) did you see? What type of transport did you arrange (parents, in-the-know friend, other)? That general type of thing.

Thanks in advance,
    -Clara/Andrew