1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender is confusing me and it's giving me a headache...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Imp, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Imp

Imp

Hi, so I'm new to this site and sorry if something similar's been posted...but I'm kinda confused and would appreciate some insight. I'm not very good at explaining things so here goes...

So biologically speaking I'm female, but I'm not sure where I stand in terms of gender. I mean, whenever someone refers to me as a "woman" or a "girl", it just feels alien to me. At the same time I don't identify with most male terms either. In terms of the way I look (if that's of any relevance), I dress a bit on the hippy-ish side in mostly female clothes, but I don't really associate the way I dress with my gender.

I don't really know how to explain it. Sometimes I feel more masculine, at other times I feel more feminine (for example, I am a dancer, so when I get into a 'performance' frame of mind I feel quite feminine), so I occasionally feel either a little bit male or a little bit female - but most of the time I just feel, I don't know...neutral? It's seems like more of an internal thing than the way I present myself, so I'm a little confused.

I just don't feel like I fit into any 'category' and it's making my head hurt.

Sorry if that didn't make much sense or if there are other thing's I've missed that need explaining. But yeah, some feedback on this would be really appreciated, thank you. :slight_smile:

#1 Imp, Nov 14, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  2. Linthras

Linthras Guest

You might want to take a look at these threads:
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/chit-chat/115327-what-genderqueer.html
    http://emptyclosets.com/forum/gender-identity-expression/114806-bigender-genderfluid-does-make-sense-anyone-else-like.html

Feel free to PM with questions.

3. Imp

Imp

Thanks Linthras!

Reading through those previous threads really made things clearer to me. It's funny, I'm pretty good on my knowledge of different genders/orientations, but when it actually came to finding out what I identified with I just couldn't work it out...guess I was getting too far into my own head (as usual) and over thinking things. :slight_smile:

After reading those threads I realised I do actually identify with being genderqueer, so thank you for showing me them - and for replying so quickly! :slight_smile:

4. Nick07

Living/dressing/feeling like a 'neutral' can also be an intermediate stage between living like cisgendered and acknowledging that someone is trans*

But if the way you live makes you happy, you don't need any label (*hug*)

Welcome to EC

5. oh my god I

Happy you made some progress in discovering yourself! :slight_smile:

6. Linthras

Linthras Guest

I'm glad I could help you.
    Like I said in those threads, feel free to PM or on my wall. :thumbsup: