1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Skinny jeans and passing FtM

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by justjade, Nov 20, 2013.

1. justjade

Hey, everyone. I was just wondering about this. I've read a lot of varying opinions on this, but I was wondering if any of my trans brothers wear skinny jeans and whether or not it affects their ability to pass. I've read that guys in general should never wear them, and I've read that some trans guys can actually pass better when wearing them.

I have pretty girly legs, I think, so I personally am kind of anxious about wearing them. I have a few pairs that rarely see the light of day, but I'm very hesitant to give them up. My legs are thin and therefore make my hips look somewhat wide.

Anyway, I'm not sure. What do you all think?

2. suninthesky

I wear slim-straight, kind of in between skinny and regular jeans. I wore skinny jeans in high school and definitely noticed a difference in passing after I switched. I really just depends how feminine of a figure someone has. If a person has narrow hips, that'll probably help or be neutral, if someone has hips, it'll probably not work as well. But that said, some cisguys have hips, so wear what you want to wear. You're a guy no matter if you're in baggy jeans, skinny jeans or a skirt. You're who you are inside, and that's what counts.

3. justjade

Thanks. :slight_smile:

I do kind of like them as I'm into the way skaters dress, although I don't skateboard and probably couldn't to save my life. :lol:

I dunno. I think I'll try them on today to see if I like the way they look. I know that one time, my husband and I were out, and I was wearing skinny jeans. We were holding hands walking down the sidewalk, and this guy took one look at us and then raised his eyebrows and looked the other way. I enjoyed that moment. :lol:

I wear slim straight jeans, too, because I'm short, and if my pants are too baggy, I look shorter than I already am.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't see why skinny jeans wouldn't look passable...except maybe if someone looks at your crotch and there's nothing...unless you're packing in which case it's probably fine!

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

I wear boy's skinny jeans (which are kinda difficult to find but they're entirely worth it), and sometimes women's skinny jeans, and usually my jacket is long enough to cover my hips/butt which aren't the most guy-looking.... unless if you know of a few dudes with a small frame and a prominent arse. Packing always helps with passing when it comes to skinny jeans too, for obvious reason.

I don't wear baggy jeans, or straight jeans because I don't like how they look on me at all, and I don't think they'd help me pass any better.

6. Niko

I love wearing skinny jeans or slim-staright, and my advice to you is to if you choose to wear that style of pant, make sure they're men's/boy's. Women's skinny jeans are way tighter and will show off more curves. Men's skinny jeans though, you get the skinny feel, but it won't show off the curves. Hopefully people won't stare at your crotch, but sometimes the jean itself will create a false bulge on it's own, which is a plus. :grin: ...At least that's been my experience.

7. justjade

I personally don't pack. Probably should've mentioned that earlier. It's not that I don't like it. I've never done it. I couldn't tell you. But yeah, I've noticed the bulge that just naturally seems to occur in the crotch of men's jeans. :grin:

8. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I wear slim/skinny jeans 99% of the time. Pros: I'm small so they look better on me than baggier jeans, they're much nicer in the ass than baggier jeans, they're not as tight as girl's skinny jeans and don't suffocate my legs, they're just good in my opinion ok? Cons: Goddamn curves, I don't pack, curves really suck, I don't seem to pass much but I don't blame my pants for that, did I mention curves suck?

9. Manikin

I a post you wrote basically you a guy no matter what pants you wear- or skirt.

That was something I myself needed to hear from some one besides my sister. I like to wear dresses and generally decided female clothing, and a lot of people have shamed me for it.

You made my night thanks :thumbsup:

10. oh my god I

Hummm, to be honest, I don't think it is a plus to passing, unless you're going for a young andro skaterish look, but that doesn't mean you can't wear them :slight_smile: you just have to decide what you are comfortable with and, if passing is of utmost importance, what you can get away with.

I would sometimes wear skinnies when I was presenting as a boy, I just got really self conscious about my massive thighs as I am very petite esp in the legs. Somehow I feel like a boot cut made me look more femme than skinnies though.

Just remember, I think boy's jeans rarely (never?) have any stretch so too tight is not a good idea. I wouldn't worry about having a bulge or whatever, boy's jeans (even skinnies) have a lot of extra crotch allowance so nobody expects to see something there.

But, f you're pretty curvy and worried about it I think a slim fit straight leg (sized up) could give you close to the look you want with less worry about how it affects passing.

And either way don't forget to emphasize your upper body esp. shoulders.

Hope that helps a little :slight_smile:

#10 oh my god I, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  11. justjade

Boys' jeans are kind of tight. Sometimes, depending on the brand, no matter what size I try on, I can't get them over my hips. I like skinny jeans. I think a lot of it is camouflaging my top half. If I can do that, I should be fine, I think. I mean, passing isn't of utmost importance, but it's pretty great. I mean, I need to pass at some point, but I don't get really upset if I don't. I just want to be comfortable mostly, and anymore, tight pants can be very uncomfortable. The skinny jeans with a little stretch are my favorites.

12. oh my god I

I don't have brands to recommend but I think you are right. As long as you stay boxy and loose on top it will help a lot to balance out the skinnies. Men's skinnies are meant to run a little baggy, you just might have to go up a few sizes to get the same look.

(*hug*) good luck!!

13. sometimebefore

I had a FTM friend at my school when I was a Freshman and Sophomore (he graduated), and he still passed pretty well with skinny jeans and boobs (his binder wasn't terribly effective at hiding his undesired endowments). It seems to be as much the way you carry yourself as the way you dress. When I first knew him, I had a bit of trouble letting myself let him pass, because his mother introduced him as her daughter (which I bet ruined his day), but skinny jeans, even women's didn't make him pass any differently than when wearing baggy jeans.

I agree a bit with this too. What you wear for a shirt goes a long way to helping you pass, and is much more important than the pants.

14. justjade

What you said about the way you carry yourself, it's very true. I've noticed that my ability to pass is pretty heavily dependent on my confidence and how I act.

15. Caillin

Id wear them as long as they are not to snug at the thighs and the rear end personally id go with straight legged pants. Another thing about skinny jeans people say to pack but I dont get that because i dont think anyone will stare at your crouch wondering whats in there.

16. justjade

Yeah, I read a passing guide where it basically said you absolutely cannot go without packing if you're wearing skinny jeans. Seriously, who just goes around staring at people's crotches?

But yeah, I like mine with a little extra room. I like to keep the back pockets low because A) it visually flattens my ass, and B) sitting on my wallet doesn't make sitting noticeably uncomfortable since I keep my wallet in my back pocket.

17. GeeLee

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Would carrot jeans be of any help? They're not as snug around the waist as skinnys or slim fit but they taper inward as you go down the leg.

18. justjade

Oh, I hate tapered legs. I mean no offense, but they put unwanted emphasis on my hips. And for that matter, I have yet to see anyone who can actually pull them off.

19. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I... wouldn't recommend skinny jeans, man.
    They emphasize a person's hips and ass.
    Counterproductive.