1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My attraction towards femininity seems to collide with my desire to be feminine.

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Starry Eyes, Nov 22, 2013.

1. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

So to give you an example I might see a woman and think, "I want to have sex with her", but I also think "Those boots are so cute. I wanna wear those!" Or "She has a really pretty face" collides with "I wonder how that lipstick would look on me."

So, needless to say sexual attraction, and gender identity seem to be running into each other and I sometimes have trouble separating the two. I have to question if my thoughts towards a woman that are sexual are actually just me wanting to emulate her and if my thoughts of emulation are actually sexual thoughts.

It's very confusing. Anyone else know what I mean?

2. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know exactly what you mean. But well, reversed.

3. Tayb24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a poem by Daphne Gottlieb, a cis woman.

the frightening truth about desire

it's on but
    i don't know
    whether i want
    to be
    her, fuck her
    or borrow
    her clothes.

4. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

So I guess the question is why do we feel this way? How do you separate the feelings? Can they be separated?

That about sums it up for me. I usually feel all of those things. It's a strange jumble of feelings to have.

5. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't the foggiest. :icon_conf

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If we're to believe crackpots like Ray Blanchard, there are two categories of transsexuals: "homosexual transsexuals", who are attracted to men and desire a normative female body to attract them, and "heterosexual fetishistic transvestites", who find the idea of having a female body sexually arousing, but desire a heterosexual female partner. This would apply to MTF only.

I have a simpler explanation, and it's that it's definitely possible to be attracted to and envious of someone for their looks. Sometimes we seek out "opposites", and other times we seek out something closer to home, or someone who is at a "place" where we would like to be, somewhere down the road.

7. Summer Rose

Actually..you may be on to something, something I thought of too. Often you see people who both wish for attention, and yet actively seek to "fit-in." Two question spawn from this: "is this contradictory (usually a statement, actually)?" and "How can they accomplish both at once?" The truth is, I believe, that we as social beings wish to be seen as "individuals" but not outcast; we want others to know who we are, but not for a negative reason or in a negative light. We want to be seen as A cool kid, but also being recognizable by appearance/personality, at least so others know our name.

It's slightly different in this scenario: we wish to be similar to someone, but we desire them too. Transitioning will sometimes come with the desire to fully fit in with the intended gender, so we look to people who (we at least believe) are that gender naturally. At the same time, we desire that same gender/sex, but when we recognize our personality matches theirs, it becomes disheartening. Why? It may be because we don't wish to literally love our "reflection" and thus will push aside our attraction fearing that the relationship may end up being everything we know because it's "us" dating ourselves.

That's just my theory; take it, leave it, have it for lunch, it all comes down to individual experience and it's only a theory that can apply to some (I'm sure plenty of trans will have experiences contradicting this, but that's expected really).

Oh, and I have thought about my femininity...and it seems like I have fits of wanting to be masculine and feminine...maybe when I look for someone, I'll have this same problem :l

#7 Summer Rose, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  8. oh my god I

Confusingly (I am MAAB), I feel this way about guys. When I see a really cool, confident, hot guy, I start to want to be boyish. Not really in a masculine way but it makes me idealize being a boy. I wanna be a pretty little femmey twink (but I want their confidence and calmness and decisiveness too).

When I'm not thinking/fantasizing about boys as much and I'm back in the real world I feel more happy as a girl. It's pretty weird.

Can't say I experience this with women but to be honest most women have personalities that aren't romantically attractive to me at all and I am fairly demisexual.

#8 oh my god I, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2013
  9. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

I've recently been thinking a lot about the whole "transvestic fetishism" idea that men dress up as women to be sexually aroused and that they are straight men exploring a fetish, but I don't know how much credibility that theory has.

I know I started dressing as a girl at age 6 or 7. Way before puberty. And I would have continued doing so if I were not threatened by my parents about not doing it.

I also know that dressing up can be a turn on for me, and so I wonder sometimes about the whole fetish thing, but I also think about how I am still in the closet and that a sexual release might be my only way to have any real feeling of contentment regarding my dressing up.

Plus I have experimented sexually with another guy, and despite feeling icky afterwards I did enjoy it and would do it again. So I don't think I am completely straight and indulging in a panty wearing fetish. Yet I still am uncertain even about that. It's all very confusing

---------- Post added 23rd Nov 2013 at 05:45 AM ----------

I had to think about this for a while. I definitely get a sense of looking in a mirror with some women. Like I am drawn to them, and when I stop to think about it I notice that my attraction to them is more about that they look similar to me when I'm dressed up than a sexual attraction.

Of course like I said before it seems like sexual attraction and the desire to be perceived as a gender different from your own are very similar feelings that get bunched together and it becomes hard to separate the two, and it becomes hard to realize how legitimate these feelings actually are.

#9 Starry Eyes, Nov 23, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2013
  10. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

Anyone else have any thoughts on this issue?

11. Drago2012

Is there a like :slight_smile:thumbsup:slight_smile: button for posts? lol
    Great poem!

WOW, this makes a lot of sense for me, for a while I wanted to be a woman and the thought of having a woman body was/is extremely arousing, is not so much the dressing up, I never really like dressing up much, but having a feminine looking body and face was what I wanted. At the same time, I really felt attraction towards women, I was just a wreck lol. I was just starting to figure myself out. It took a long time (10 ish years) and I don't think anyone will fully understand themselves completely.

I was also thinking, don't lesbian women feel this way? I know I certainly do towards men. I really would love to look like X guy and at the same time want to *cough* him lol
    Though it's probably not the same, is it?

12. Skyline

I was just thinking that myself. Do homosexual people also have mixed feelings of attraction and envy? It may very well be the same thing.

I get where you're coming from. I have met girls that I find sexually attractive, and I have also met girls who had nice outfits and I wondered if I could pull that look off. In my case, it has rarely been a mix of the two, but I know it has happened to me.

But consider for a moment that this is just a result of your varying gender identity. Like I questioned above; if you identify as female (sometimes) and are attracted to females, then it would only make sense for the two feelings of lust and envy to collide, right? Now, as for any sexual arousing that may have happened while cross dressing, that came from your male half. I know when I first started cross dressing I would get aroused. Now, not so much, because I'm used to it and I don't really try to contain it or keep it to myself anymore. Since it feels normal, it's not triggering my excitement in such a way.

13. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

For me, it's usually all of the above.

EDIT: Sorry for the uninsightful reply. But's almost 3:30 AM where I'm at and I have to wake up at 6:30. Consider this thread bookmark'd for later reply. :slight_smile:

14. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

I would think at least some lesbians probably do have this same feeling, though not all of them as I've seen plenty who desire to look more masculine.

And yeah, I think what you are describing is the same. You are both attracted to a man while at the same time you want to emulate him.

---------- Post added 25th Nov 2013 at 07:42 AM ----------

Yeah, I think me feeling gender fluid definitely has an influence on my mixed feelings. Good observation.

15. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

Any other thoughts on this issue?

16. Alyss

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I feel the same. Thank you for thread

Greets :wink:

17. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    It's likely a stupid thought I have here and feel free to say so, but why not just sleep with her and then barrow her shoes?

18. Just Jess

Just my $0.02, but there is something incredibly intimate about knowing that the person you're with is feeling exactly what you're feeling.

19. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This works for me. Can't tell you how many shirts I've borrowed off of boyfriends, only to grudgingly have to return them later... :grin:

20. Alyss

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I need to print it out, frame it and then hang on the wall in my bedroom.
    This is the heart of the matter.

It is not so simple as it seems to be...:slight_smile: