1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Friend said its not hard being transgender????

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Caillin, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Caillin

This might be bit of a rant we were talking about transpeople he does nt know i am trans and he said its not hard for them and all they want is to be overly respected and im just like WTF and it goes on after much debating he even had the nerve to say "why do the need to change their body, I just cant relate" No shit he cant relate your a cis male you dont have that problem of hating your body ike most transgender people do not all. He even said why do they even need to go to the bathroom that they identify as its just going to the bathroom by this point I am absolutely stunned and this is coming form a member of the LGBTQ hes bisexual I mean id at least think he would be not so uneducated about them -_- i mean when I know about parts of the LGBTQ community and dont discriminate on anyone. So I mean i am just pissed. So I told him what if you randomly turn into a girl and he goes "I would masturbate and wouldn't care if i was a girl" :bang: He got quite though when i said you wouldt care when every one treated you as a women and told him he would get sik of being a girl. :eusa_danc so i think i wont the conversation. But any advise on someone who is uneducated about transgender people nor do I think he would even care to do research on it but i dont wanna stop being friends with him cuz he can be really cool and i dont think he meant to come off as transphobic but he did but now im afraid to even come out because i dont know what hid reaction would be and :***: before this i was ready to come out soon but now I want to hide further in the closet :tears:

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, first decide if you want to bring it up yourself or wait until it comes up again. I'm not going to lie, if you go up to him and say "Hey you remember when we were talking about transpeople the other day, you said some really disgusting things" there is a decent chance he's going to ask you if you're trans. I don't know if you're ready to come out yet to this guy but lets be honest it's a possibility that he will ask.

So there are specific things he doesn't seem to get, and I would address them separately.

why do the need to change their body, I just cant relate
    I can't relate is the most important part of this. He wouldn't need to be black to understand that racism happens. He wouldn't NEED to be gay/bi to know that being gay is OK. He can't relate. In other words, he feels no sympathy. But he needs EMPATHY. You made a good point when you asked him how it would feel if everyone treated him like a girl, but I think the problem with that was that it was part of an analogy where he had the BODY of a girl. Try the following:

Tomorrow morning, you get out of bed and and the next person you see says "Oh hi Katie!" you insist that your name is whatever but you brush it off and move on. During the day people greet you as Katie. A guy wolf-whistles you as you walk down the street. You keep telling people your name ISN'T Katie. You go home at the end of the day and see your mother. She notices that you are cross and upset. She gives you a big hug and says. "Katie, you're the best daughter ever. You will always be my daughter and I will always love you. Nothing will ever change that". Something snaps inside you and you shout "I'M A GUY DAMN IT! I'M A MOTHER-FUCKING GUY!".

THAT is what being trans feels like. You know this, but he doesn't. You see yourself one way and the rest of the world sees it differently. All you want is for them to see you, how you see yourself. How could you be happy otherwise?

Bathrooms
    If he can't figure this one out on his own he's a complete arse. But anyway. We consider ourselves a certain gender, why shouldn't we use our own bathroom?

A common argument against this is this idea of people just wanting to use the bathroom of the opposite sex. So my retort is usually something to the effect of:

"So it's fine for someone with a pee fetish to listen to you go as long as they were born the same gender?" they usually protest this to which I add "where as I just want to pee and move on, but apparently because my genitals don't match I can't do that?"

It doesn't always work but it's a start.

all they want is to be overly respected
    I'm guessing he is of the opinion that this idea that trans people should be treated as the gender the express is somehow MORE than should be expected in terms of human rights. Question him. You can't confront this point because I don't think HE even knows what he means. It sounds like one of those phrases you read from a facebook comment and adopt as your own opinion. Make him explain it and don't be satisfied with his answer until he has absolutely justified his opinion.

it's not hard for them
    Slap him. In the dick. With a chair.

I mean don't really do that, but still. I'm guessing your friend hasn't come up against much in the way of bullying for him being bisexual. He clearly doesn't understand what we go through so maybe he actually believes this.

Talk to the guy and see what he says. If he makes any more points, I can do this for hours ;D

3. Caillin

Thanks for the advise. :slight_smile:

4. fortheloveoflez

I was driving today and had this deep thought about how HARD it must be to be transgender. I do think that he's being very ignorant. And this is coming from a cis-woman.

5. justjade

Um....

It's not hard being transgender? Bullshit.

It's so fucking hard! Does he have any idea what it's like being trapped in the wrong body and/or social roles? I think if he did, that would change his mind. I mean, come on, while transitioning, some of us lose our jobs, our families, our friends, our SO's.... That's not easy at all.

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's easy to say this or that group doesn't have it hard when you're not a part of it, and don't have to experience what they to on a daily basis. That said, he could have been a bit more empathic with his comment and *tried* to see where you were coming from, instead of throwing your concerns under the rug, basically.

He might not realize it, but these attitudes are exactly what keep transsexuals oppressed in the twenty first century. "I would masturbate"... maybe he'll see things different in a good 5-10 years, and hopefully by then, there will be a bit more information, acceptance, and overall progress in terms of trans issues.