1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Change Yourself

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Max630, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Max630

I'm 23 years old and currently spending Thanksgiving with my family. My mom just had another talk with me about presenting myself better. Both of my parents have constantly talked to me about dressing "nicer" and "girlier". I came out to them almost a year ago and I present myself more as a tomboy (which I am very happy with) however they just do not seem to understand the way I dress and/or present myself. Recently I have shifted to only wearing unisex and men's clothes because that is what I feel comfortable in. This has really started to bother me and make me feel like I am just not good enough. I have told them that I am 23, happy with myself, and am not going to change the way I dress, but they do not seem to be getting the message. Any ideas on how to deal with this?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    What exactly have you told them about the reasons for you dressing in male style clothing?

More importantly, have you ever asked them what they think dressing "girlier" will achieve?

3. Max630

I have simply said that I am happy with the way I dress and it is just who I am. They have said that people might treat me differently if I continue dressing the way I do. They live in a very conservative area whereas I live in a more liberal area. They also worry that I will not get a job when I finish school. I do not see that happening once again because of the area I live in.

4. Max630

Anyone else have any similar experiences?

5. I can relate mildly because I'm growing my hair out for a more girly appearance and some people have said I'll have a hard time finding a job too, but I'm not worried about it. It's just hair! People can get over it lol

6. justjade

I can relate. Everyone in my family asks me why I keep my hair so short and have even said that I just don't want to take care of my hair. I've been asked why I want to look like a boy. I've been told I'd be really pretty with makeup. The fact of the matter is that, if you have to change who you are to be accepted, or at least not nagged about it, it's not worth it.