1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

FTM in weight training

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Cynder, Nov 25, 2013.

1. Cynder

So next semester I will be taking a weight training class at my school. I'm kind of excited because I want to get stronger, and hopefully get a more masculine looking body, but in school I'm still known as female. But, with what I wear to school, I usually pass a a boy with people I don't know in the hallways, even to the point where I get nasty looks when using the girls bathroom. So my problem is deciding whether to go to this class as male or not. I don't think I will know anyone in that class. The things I'm worried about are:
    1.) I'm really weak, and I don't want to get bullied or anything, so it might be better if people see me as a dainty girl than a really weak boy
    2.) I don't know if people usually have to change in these classes, does anyone know? And if so, what's the best way to change in the locker rooms?
    3.) Should I email my teacher beforehand to tell him what I want to be called and that I'm trans, or should I just correct my name when it's first called out for roll?
    4.) I do not know how to use weights at all. The teacher makes personalized things for each student, but are there any things I need to know beforehand?
    5.) if I tell the teacher beforehand and there is someone I know in that class what should I do? No one other than my therapist and one friend know I'm trans, so everyone I know in school thinks I'm just a tomboyish girl.
    6.)Should I even go to this class as male at all?

And I guess just general thoughts about this? Thanks guys.

2. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    1. That's your call. When I did weight training in my school, everyone pretty much did their own thing - nobody said anything about how weak or strong anyone else was.
    2. We had to change, not sure about other schools. My locker room preference has always been "find something to lock myself in away from other people and change there".
    3. This is also your call. Personally, I would e-mail the teacher or talk with them in person sometime before the class starts, preferably a week or so ahead of time so that if there were any issues I could try and work them out. Correcting people on the spot makes me anxious, but that's me.
    4. I love weights, not gonna lie. My only real advice is push yourself but know your limits. You can hurt yourself with weights if you're not careful, but you do want to make progress! Like with other excercises, it's best and most effective to do reps. Maybe read about weight training online a bit before the class. :slight_smile:
    5. Depends on how they take it.
    6. I can't possibly answer that for you. If you do, you're braver than me.

3. Cynder

Does anybody have any more advice? It could just be personal thoughts or feelings, or about related topics that aren't the same...

4. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, man, I love weight lifting- I'm a fatass and can't do cardio for shit, so I've been lifting weights instead. Start with 3-5 lbs and go from there.
    If you're concerned about your strength, then I'd suggest you start out with a beginner workout before next semester starts.