1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I lashed out at someone...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by RainbowGreen, Nov 26, 2013.

1. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Well, I knew I had to bottle up a lot of frustration lately, and I knew I would snap at someone if I had to wait any longer. I'm out at school to my teachers, some important school personal and about 80% of the students around me. Sometimes, I don't even know what use it is to come out at school because I can count on my hands how many people address me correctly. Now, I just went a little bit too much on the aggressive side with the wrong person. It just happens this person is my supervisor at school for a personal project, something I need for my DESI diploma (some advance thing in high school). I don't think I was that bad, but he took it the wrong way. Well, I just asked him if it was possible to try to use my legal name less, since it's starting to annoy the hell out of me (didn't say the last part). He answered that school asks him to use it. I then said that even I don't use people's name that often.

Well, here's how I said it.

-''Well, I don't use someone's name three times in the same sentence.''

I didn't mean to say it like that. I was just so frustrated that I didn't filter my thoughts at all. I didn't mean to hurt him or anything, but now he says he doesn't know if he can supervise my project anymore because he doesn't know if he can be objective enough. I told him I didn't mean it, but if he doubts he can stay objective, maybe I would be better with a new supervisor? This guy is the one in charge of the prevention of suicide group, the humanitarian aid, the amnesty international group, you name it! He made me feel really bad about this because I didn't think I would hurt his feelings, even less that I'd lose him as a supervisor. If I really have to switch though, I found a teacher willing to take me, but my supervisor is just someone so nice that nobody understands how I could possibly switch.

Any ideas how I can figure that one up?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, go back and speak to him tomorrow and explain how much you've had to bottle up.

If this guy is in charge of all these groups, you would expect him to be a decent understanding human being. Now you are out to 80% of the school but barely any address you properly even though they have no reason not to! There is so much you have to deal with. Tell him this and apologise for blowing up on him.

Then explain to him that all you wanted to ask was if he could perhaps avoid using a name at all if the school won't allow him to use your preferred name, or even just use it once to gain your attention and then leave it.

Just make it clear how much stress you've been under and that it was a case of wrong person said the wrong thing at the wrong time.

If he accepts, great. If not, well he's a pretty poor teacher is all I'll say.

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thank you for your advice :slight_smile: I have to admit he had to deal with things on his own, too tough. He said one of his coworkers died (don't know the guy). Maybe he'd have took it better if he didn't have to deal with that? Anyway, my psychologist said it'd be better to let a day or two slide before asking him again, so I guess I'll tell him about this then.