1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender therapist?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Caillin, Nov 27, 2013.

1. Caillin

Are there any therapists that work with people with people who have gender dysphoria that could be online since I dont have any way of going to one it would need to be online or a cheap one online because I think i could convince my mom to let me see one if they are cheap because we dont have alot of money to shell out on a therapist. Also if you have a online therapist do you think they could still prescribe you with hormones after some time. Or if I go to a regular therapist do you think they could prescribe me hormones.

2. sometimebefore

I really have no experience with either, but from my research in looking for a therapist for myself, it seems like any old therapist would be able to help with getting through transition. I assume that means that based on however they conduct their practice, they can prescribe hormones just like they would be able to prescribe something else for a different situation with a different person.

3. Caillin

Oh thank you I was thinking of going to a regular therapist but I heard some can say some pretty stupid stuff lol.

4. sometimebefore

Try looking online (I think Psychology Today has a web directory of psychologists) to find one near you who is either experienced with or at least understanding of trans people. It'll be by no means a sure thing, but it would at least eliminate a lot of the one's who'd laugh you out of town or just suck in other ways. I would also send an email query to any potential therapist asking them about their willingness to work with a trans* person and to eventually lead you through a transition.