1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

To Young To Be Trans?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TheConfusedFrog, Nov 27, 2013.

1. TheConfusedFrog

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello. I'm pretty sure I'm transgender, but I was talking to some of my freinds online last night and some of them said 13 was too young for me to be transgender. Is this in any way true?

2. Caillin

Nope some people know from very early age and some find out later in life its all different with peoples experiences. Some people can go through phases of thinking it or being confused but thats not alot of people who go through that phase.

3. isamu

This is hard to answer and depends solely on your own feelings. If you are for certain sure that you are transgender, than your friends have no right to tell you that you are "too young".
    I think they may be trying to say that they think that it is too soon for you to decide for sure. This may be true, but many trans people figure themselves out when they are even younger. It varies a lot from person to person.
    Even if you aren't entirely sure now, don't let others tell you that you are not. You should figure out whether you are or not based on your own feelings, not the feelings of others.

4. sometimebefore

I think that I have suspected that I was TG from when I was about 12 or thirteen. I only really became certain this past summer and fall, but that's mostly because I allowed what someone said about being "too young" to get to my head and refused to accept it for the longest time. If you believe that you are TG now, don't let anyone tell you that you aren't, but keep exploring yourself. If you look deep enough inside yourself, you will probably find certainty one way or the other. Finding out is more a function of your introspective realization, than a function of your age.

5. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    They said that to me when I was thirteen...
    That was a year ago. I'm still the same guy.
    Go with your intuition on this one- what do you think of yourself as?

6. Scarlet Me

Try to make sure that you really are sure, but once you really know, try not to wait too long before sharing this with your parents and a therapist. On a young age like yours it is still possible to get blockers, making sure that a lot of the damage that could be done isn't. (Voice for example) Then when you are a bit older and you're sure about what gender you are, then you can decide to go through puberty (Of any gender)

7. Keelin

I actually realized I was trans* by the time I was twelve. If you feel you are truly transgender, never bottle up or try and oppress those emotions. Do not stop yourself from transitioning/coming out because of your friends. The only person that can determine your gender is you. Don't take it any other way.

8. TheConfusedFrog

Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks for the input.I've been thinking about it for a few hours, and I'm 99% sure I'm trans. When I told this to my two freinds they said they didn't want to hang out with me anymore. I guess they were never my true freinds.

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm so sorry to hear that frog! (*hug*) It might be worth asking them what exactly they think the problem is, it might just be an initial shock-reaction and they haven't thought it through. Worth a shot at least!

10. SWAGboy

SWAGboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You can't be too young to be trans, embrace your gender and prosper!

11. TheConfusedFrog

Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I don't live in the most accepting area. I'm pretty sure they're just transphobic. I have other friends. The only thing I'm worried about is them telling others I'm trans before I'm ready to come out.

12. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is certainly a concern. I mean the biggest problem is that while you could deny it, since nobody has any proof, it's not like anyone has ever needed proof of something to spread the rumour.

Personally, I would want to talk to them and try and win them over, if for no other reason than to try and stop them telling other people, but I realise that might be difficult. Is there anyone at your school you could talk to, a teacher or something?

13. Keelin

Those who care don't matter, and those who matter don't care. Just forget about them if they can't accept you for you.

14. TheConfusedFrog

Out Status:
    A few people
    Rumours are a really bad problem at my school. I would like to talk to them about my privacy, and I'm sure they will listen. They may be transphobic, but they're not bullys. As for there being someone at school for my to talk to, I dought it. We have a nice counsellor, but I don't think she has ever had to deal with something like this before.

15. apostrophied

I don't think there is such a thing as "too young," since some trans kids start acting as the opposite gender as soon as they can talk.

However, you said you've been thinking about it for a few hours and you're 99% sure. A few hours is a very, very short time to come to such a realization. Maybe think about it for a few hours more lol?

If you do not want to go through puberty as a guy, though, it's imperative that you seek medical attention ASAP, so do not delay any longer. This will invariably entail telling your parents, though.

16. Jessica79

You need to be 100% sure its what you want because some changes that hormones do cannot be reversed not just that during transition you change (It may vary on people but my personality has changed so much since coming out) think about it more maybe see a therapist :slight_smile:

17. TheConfusedFrog

Out Status:
    A few people
    When I said I had been thinking about it for a few hours, that was not the first time I had thought about it. I first thought I might be trans 2 months ago, and was already pretty sure before last night. That was just when I confirmed it.

18. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They may not have dealt with it, but it's still their job to listen! If nothing else they should be able to help you deal with some of the more common feelings associated, anything more specific, we can help you with...or try at least!

(*hug*)

19. apostrophied

A 13-year-old would never get hormones, just blockers, in much the same way as a kid who goes through early puberty has their puberty stopped by blockers. Effects are reversible. Hormones would only be given after extensive psychological/psychiatric evaluation, and again, definitely not to a 13-year-old who has just been thinking about it for a few months.

However, in the even that OP might be highly distressed by the idea of going through male puberty (which, unlike blockers, is irreversible!), medical attention is immediately needed to prevent puberty from progressing (it has likely already started by age 13).

OP, what makes you think you are trans in the first place?

20. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

My two cents:

Seeing as the signs can start as young as elementary school, 13 is not too young. Some people look back and realize all the signs point to yes, so it isn't so strange that someone can read the signs as they are in the present.

#20 CharlieHK, Nov 29, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 29, 2013