1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tattoo

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by StillHere, Nov 30, 2013.

1. StillHere

I'm 15, but have been set in mind forever that I would put the date I came out on my finger. I wanted to know if this type of thing was common (gay type and or coming out dates)to be done? I am only going to have the date but maybe put the gay symbol next to it in a few years time.

Also, does anyone who have tattoos have a feeling to compare it to (state where you got the tattoo too if you don't mind!).

As always, hugs and thanks :slight_smile: (&&&)

2. Techno Kid

I never heard of anyone doing that, but it sounds like a neat idea! :slight_smile:

3. Goodnyte

I haven't heard of it either but it definitely sounds like a great idea. To be honest, I just might do that too now. :slight_smile:

4. LD579

It's a neat idea, but I suggest strongly thinking about such a thing. It's permanent (Unless you opt for removal of it...), and it's a reminder of coming out and all that it entails. Sometimes, when you look at your body, you don't want to always be reminded of all aspects of a particular thing, you know?

I can say now that coming out and being gay isn't something I would personally want to be reminded of every time I look at X place on my body, even though I'm proud of it. It doesn't really warrant or require such a thing for me, personally. In the past, I may have considered such a thing, but feelings can change, so I ultimately urge to think this through pragmatically and thoughtfully.

5. StillHere

I see where your coming from, and I'm pretty sure that I am going to have dates done on my fingers for important dates (mainly death of family member(s)) etc. Tattoos are also the thing that I would take the time to pay to remove if need be.

6. biggayguy

Getting a tattoo feels like a really Pissed Off mosquito biting you hundreds of times. It's also addictive. I wanted a second right after getting my first tattoo. The one on my forearm didn't hurt much. The one on my shoulder hurt a bit more. Like two angry mosquito's. See my picture album to view my tattoos.

7. StillHere

I like them! I think I can deal with a couple mosquitos :slight_smile:

8. biggayguy

Just make very sure it's what you want. It's easier to get a divorce than remove a tattoo.

9. apostrophied

Don't count on tattoo removal. It's expensive, awfully painful (from what I've heard), and leaves you with a permanent scar not unlike a bad burn.

Though this tattoo idea sounds cool, I'll go with Luthan and caution you against it. Tattoos are forever, but you or your situation might change and you won't want that tattoo on you anymore. Not to mention that when you're 60 and your skin gets saggy.... At age 15, you'll also need parental consent. Which is a good thing, considering that a 15-year old's frontal lobe is not developed enough to think about long-term consequences...

10. emkorora

emkorora Guest

I would never recommend anyone to tattoo any portion of their body that can be reasonably seen by others. It inhibits your opportunities in life greatly. Too many careers will be withheld from you and you will be setting a verdict for the remainder of your life unless it is removed.

Furthermore, the type of tattoo can create an even larger ditch for you to fall into.

11. apostrophied

I so agree. Not to mention that OP has specifically mentionned getting the gay symbol tattooed next to it, which is just asking for trouble, IMO. Pride is very nice and all, but it could cost you your job while in the US, and your life while abroad (depending on where he goes, but who knows where life takes us...).

12. Ruthven

lol plenty of older people rockin their tats and still looking great. Even if they didn't to some peeps, who cares?

So what are we supposed to do? Bow down to people's stupid prejudices and shit, and stifle peeps' creativity and individuality? We keep conforming ourselves to please these people and shit will never change. But if we all keep on being ourselves, eventually these ridiculous employers will be a thing of the past and they won't be allowed to discriminate against something so harmless (unless someone has something like racist or whatever tattooed on themselves).

I understand it may cost an individual a chance at some jobs but there are jobs out there that are cool with individuality.

13. biggayguy

If you're worried about a job get your tattoo where it will be covered or an ultraviolet tattoo.

14. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The location is the only thing I'd worry about. Fingers ain't got much in the way of squishy bits and you use them a lot which I'm led to understand makes them fade quicker...could be wrong, just what I'm told.

But sure, get it if you you want it! It means something important, it's the best kind of tatt to get! I got mine on my fore-arm and it basically just tickled...but then that isn't the common experience from what I've heard. Definitely addictive though, I've wanted more ever since, just couldn't afford it!

15. thats a really cool idea! :slight_smile:

i would honestly wait a few years before getting it as at 15-16 if i got all the tattoos i so badly wanted at that age i would of sooooo regretted them! i would be covered in things that i wouldnt of wanted on me now.

i would wait until youre a bit older.

16. StillHere

That's why I said maybe in a few years time when I'm happily employed and I feel comfortable with my employer. Might just keep it a date.

17. emkorora

emkorora Guest

While I promote this theory, "be the change you wish to see in the world," there are some institutions that will probably not change. And for the better, too.

My knowledge of careers only extends to the culinary arts and jurisprudence. Since the former is perfectly acceptable of tattoos, I will not use it as an example.

Law (jurisprudence) has been a field that, although it has undergone revisions and changes, remains inherently unaltered. We keep to traditions that were established by the Magna Carta, Socrates, Henry II. The icon of law-- the god Justice-- has seen new symbols added to it like the text, the blindfold, etc. But the essence stays the same. I do not believe law will ever change. And I am wholeheartedly thankful for that.

In the courtroom, only the only individuals practicing law are those with professional demeanors and technical expertise. For better or worse, tattoos detract from those qualities.

That isn't to say gauges, piercings, and tattoos are unwarranted. But they do not belong in certain arenas. Just like beards? There are standards in Western society that mandate certain appearances and conduct to be present in specific careers. :slight_smile:

18. apostrophied

I totally agree. And I think OP is too young to decide what kind of job he wants in the long-term, so he should not do anything that could prevent him from having one job or another, if at all possible.

Good for you OP to wait it out. But don't forget, even when you're comfortable with your employer, it wouldn't necessarily be the best of ideas to go out and get inked, because you could lose your job, and then not get a new one because your new employer isn't that keen on tattoos or gays or whatever. Is a tattoo really worth your financial security?

Personally, I'd look into having some kind of decorative item custom made with your date of coming out. Maybe have someone make you a forged iron tree on which you could add leaves with important dates on them, including one for your coming out (and more for your family members, dogs, goldfish, and whatever). Something like this: Iron Family Trees - Hand Crafted | Stone County Ironworks. They are usually made as family trees, but you could make yours a "significant moment" tree.

Anyway, just throwing that out there. I think they're really nice.