1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

this seems the right place to ask

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by GivePeaceAChanc, Dec 2, 2013.

1. never heard the term

what does transmasculine mean? some identify this way, never heard this one

2. Summer Rose

I may be wrong, but I believe it basically refers to being more masculine upon transition, probably usually used for mtf who prefer to be viewed as both women, but also as masculine/tomboyish/butch.

Again...could be wrong...

3. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

Transmasculine, I think, tends to be something of a mini-umbrella- encompasses anyone who has a "masculine" identity. Leans more towards genderqueer folks but I've seen FtM guys referred to as transmasculine.

4. so someone identifying as transmasculine can be either FAAB or MAAB

but this is how they are

so there must be a transfeminine?

the strange thing is way back before we knew of such a thing 1986 I knew a person who today they would identify now as Bi gender - back then they just said confused

5. Oddish

Oddish Guest

It's a term some non-binary, FAAB people use to refer to their transition. Rather than female-to-male (and while it's pretty much the same thing), transmasculine encompasses genderqueer folk who are transitioning to masculinise their body/themselves, but don't adhere to the male binary.

Same goes with MAAB people who might identify as genderqueer but simply are transitioning to a more feminine identity, but might not identify 100% as transwomen, hence transfeminine.

Some binary trans people can use the term as well, simply because they're transitioning to a masculine/feminine identity depending.