1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

2 Years

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by An Gentleman, Dec 2, 2013.

1. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I found a lesbian therapist(not a gender therapist), but due to my age, she doesn't want to help me get a diagnosis for AT LEAST 2 YEARS. :***:
    Most people go through puberty in their teens! I want to pass as well as possible.
    The problem is, I haven't met anyone else who's even willing to help at all.
    Should I find someone else, or should I take what I can get?
    (I'm in California, which is a liberal state.)

2. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can't imagine you waiting for two years, dude. I've been waiting for just one to get to see a psychiatrist and I'm already going crazy. How many times did you see her? Does she know how much it matters to you? If you already told her that, I guess you could try to find someone else while keeping this therapist's number, just to be sure. If you're in a liberal state, surely there must be someone out there willing to help you, right?

3. suninthesky

Are your parents supportive? If so, find another therapist. A therapist can help you (as a minor) get HRT, if that's what you're getting at, if your parents are willing and consent.

If your parents won't consent, you'll have to wait until you are legally an adult.

---------- Post added 2nd Dec 2013 at 07:55 PM ----------

Are your parents supportive? If so, find another therapist. A therapist can help you (as a minor) get HRT, if that's what you're getting at, if your parents are willing and consent.

If your parents won't consent, you'll have to wait until you are legally an adult.

4. Tayb24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When will therapists realize that inaction is not a neutral stance, it is a negative one. Condemning you to two years of puberty simply because you are young, makes no sense. It's like having a gunshot patient and telling them to let the wound get infected first before they will treat them.

This therapist does not have your best interests in heart, DROP THEM. Find someone else. I unfortunately can not offer any other advice as I didn't transition with a therapist as I had been gate kept by the one I went to (and dropped them immediately after it became clear it was going to be a long time before she was going to let me have hormones). I don't think I ever officially got a diagnosis even.

If you are near an urban area, you might be able to find a clinic that operates under informed consent (though you would need the consent of your parents) and get prescribed that way.

5. Caillin

I would seek out a different therapist.

6. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ...Does it have to be both parents, or is one acceptable?

7. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Get a new therapist. Seriously. Being lesbian doesn't mean squat in this situation. She obviously isn't as open minded as you could have hoped for.

8. Caillin

Im not 100% sure but I think one parent is acceptable because some kids only have one parent in their life.