1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to start dressing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anonym, Dec 4, 2013.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

I'm having trouble choosing men's clothing. I have distanced myself further and further from being a woman to the point that women's clothes disgust me, however unisex they're still cut for a woman's body - which I don't want! But when it comes to choosing men's clothes I am having a lot more difficulty than I expected. It should be easier but I kind of feel that men's clothes look good on men but I can't imagine myself dressed in them. It's kind of weird. Is it normal to find it hard to choose clothing in the beginning?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Heck yes it is! That feeling that you won't look right in them is awful!

There are a couple of things to consider.

1. Find something you like
    2. Find something that won't make you look curvy!
    3. Find something cheap!

I was always fond of baggy clothes. The bigger the better. Any t-shirts/over shirts I had were at least 2 sizes too big just so I had room. Wasn't a fan of anything that 'fit'. But that's just me. I would recommend that you get something that is a little bit bigger though, just because it seems to hide things a bit better.

As for looking right. You know what, who cares? It takes a while to get to a point where you can say that and mean it but I mean it. You are wearing clothes for you, clothes you like, not to impress anyone but because YOU like them. So if you wind up wearing clothes that don't match and look a bit strange, who cares! Unless you are going for a 'fashionable' male look, then I find it's hard to go wrong with some form of trousers and whatever tshirt/shirt you happen to find lying around.

3. anonym

anonym Guest

Thanks. I mean I look at clothes and think that looks good on him but then obviously I can't dress the same way cos it's never gonna look the same on me. It also confuses me slightly when I see a guy whose dress sense appeals to me whether I want to look like him or if it's attraction. Not exactly sure on my orientation yet :-S

4. I'd recommend finding something you like the look of and feel comfortable in.
    Since you might not be sure what looks and feels good on you, I say try different things and find your style. :slight_smile:

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It might not look the same, that doesn't mean it won't look good. It certainly doesn't mean it won't FEEL good. I'm sitting here in my pyjamas, I know damn well they would look better on someone smaller, with actual boobs. Someone with less hair they can't get rid of. But all the same, damn I feel good wearing them. Heck, I feel almost attractive in them! Don't worry so much about if they will look as good on you as they would on someone else. The people I respect most in the world are those who are told "YOU can't do that, it's not FOR you. What would so and so say if they saw!" and they do it anyway. Those people that probably know damn well they look different to other people but wear things that they love!

"when I see a guy whose dress sense appeals to me whether I want to look like him or if it's attraction."

I have the same problem with girls! Is it bothering you?

6. anonym

anonym Guest

Yes it's bothering me. Before I came to terms with being attracted to women I used to admire them and strive to dress the same. Now the reverse appears to be happening and it worries me that my trans feelings are a fluke

7. savannah99

I honestly have zero experience with this subject, I'm not even gonna lie. But can I make a possible suggestion? Maybe you should go shopping with a really close friend and ask them to dress you in male clothes that they think would look good on you. If you can get a sense of what other people think looks good, you may be able to also see those styles as being attractive on yourself, and even expand on it to develop your own style. :slight_smile: Best of luck.

8. Gingerblond93

If I were you, I would spend time observing guys and how they dress. Look for styles that you like, and you can see yourself in those cloths and style.

It's all about trying to vision what you will feel comfortable in or what style you want for yourself.

9. Exemerus

In all honesty, you will have some luck observing male styles, and not just one but many different styles. I am male and I still haven't found a style that works for me. I just wear whatever.

10. anonym

anonym Guest

Thanks for the advice. I think it would help to go shopping with a friend or someone because I can't see what looks good on me I hate my body that much. I'm still having difficulties accepting my transexualism /is that even the right word? I'm at the stage where I can't bear to be any kind of woman any more, not even masculine or androgynous looking but I still fear becoming a man. I guess it's just cos it's such a big change :icon_sad: Argh!

11. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Try not to think of it as a big change, but a series of small, gradual, self-affirming changes. Transitioning is something that takes time, it won't happen all at once. When you start to see it as a gradual thing, it's a lot less overwhelming. (*hug*)

Shopping with a friend and observing guys and their style will help a LOT, at least they did for me. I'm not sure I'm doing it right, but I like my clothes.

12. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I couldn't have said this better myself. My style has changed a lot since I first started to dress male. It does take time to find your style, and sometimes you find that your style changes as well. The best thing for me was trying clothes on. You really can't tell how things are going to look on you unless you try them on.

13. agelos

Out Status:
    Some people
    dressing as a male doesn't mean you shift to male. there is much more variety than that in the world, believe me. if it's this your decision, or you just like to see your curves disappear, i'm on your side, and as a ts guy myself i can offer some advice you may find of use on that matter ^ :slight_smile:
    in order to make hips' curves invisible you can eather wear too large pants so the shape of your legs won't show itself, or choose tight skater pants that will make your legs seem less curvy and more masculine (if the pants are tight enough) <--my favourite style
    and if you want something more manly for the top, or hate "curves" again, you can try either large shirts, or choose to wear a sports bra-a binder and just wear tops that suit you and don't look way too huge. it's nice to have clothing that fits, in my point of view, makes you more confident, you feel good-looking, it gives you more space to get used to your new style
    anyways take your time !