1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions About Puberty Blockers

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TheConfusedFrog, Dec 4, 2013.

1. TheConfusedFrog

Out Status:
    A few people
    Hello. I'm probably going to go on puberty blockers soon, but I have some questions I need answered.

First, how expensive is it? I've heard it costs a lot and I'm worried my family wont be able to afford them.

Do I have to get a therapist to confirm I'm transgender before I go on blockers?

Will puberty blockers stunt my grownth? I'm already really short, I'd rather not stop growing.

Thats all the questions I have at the moment. I might have more later.

2. Techno Kid

First, how expensive is it? I've heard it costs a lot and I'm worried my family wont be able to afford them.

"Most insurance plans will not pay for puberty inhibitors and they can be cost prohibitive. The implant is effective for approximately one year; however, may last months longer and effectiveness can be checked by blood test. The cost varies from $4,500-$15,000 and must be inserted by a surgeon. Monthly injections are approximately $1,200 per month. This will not include the cost of other necessary treatment, such as: blood work, x-rays, office visits with the physician, etc".

Do I have to get a therapist to confirm I'm transgender before I go on blockers?

"Children can be prescribed puberty blockers, with their parent's permission, by an endocrinologist, usually after psychiatric or mental health evaluations".

Will puberty blockers stunt my grownth? I'm already really short, I'd rather not stop growing.

"The treatment has been offered in the United States only for around four years. Essentially, kids who meet the criteria for gender identity disorder are given monthly injections of a medication that blocks their bodies from releasing sex hormones. This means that while the children continue to grow taller, for the three or four years they are on the medication, they are kept from maturing sexually".

Sources:
    Puberty blocker - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    TYFA - Puberty Inhibitors
    Parents Consider Treatment to Delay Son's Puberty : NPR