1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Getting rid of "sex"

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ruthven, Dec 5, 2013.

1. Ruthven

Can we get rid of sex and just not assign one gender to vaginas and the same with dicks? Does anyone else feel the same? I just feel super uncomfortable with people saying sex is male or female, and then gender is man/woman/etc, yet that makes no sense. My gender is male, my lower parts are male too cause I'm a guy, like my "sex" is not female, yeah I have a v, but so what? Why is it always considered female only?

And I know there's all the trans peeps who ain't comfortable with their lower parts, and totally of course whoever doesn't like their parts for whatever reason, if you want another set of genitals go for it if it's right for you, you know? but I'm just saying I just wish we could make it more inclusive.

Like also what about agender people, they feel like they have no gender, yet say hey have a dick and yet they're still somehow stuck with male for down there? It doesn't make sense.

So I wish we could somehow get rid of this whole "sex" thing.

And if anyone's thinking of med stuff that involves lower parts and labeling, what would be put down is the actual word for whatever genitals you may have. Your gender would play no part, and that's it.

I mean, as I said, anyone else feel the same?

2. sysreq

Yeah, I agree!

Biological sex exists only for two purposes:
    1. Classification
    2. Reproduction

Otherwise, it's kind of....arbitrary.
    I'm not trans myself, but I often think the same as you have stated.

3. Exemerus

Everyone has to label everything, why cant we all just accept each other as humans and be done with it?

ShesHalfHuman likes this.
  4. Techno Kid

This all the way!! :grin:

#4 Techno Kid, Dec 5, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 5, 2013
  5. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

The taxonomists have taken over...

6. DhammaGamer

I 100% agree.

7. Tayb24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I definitely agree, if you are a certain gender, then really by definition, your genitals are the genitals of a person of that gender. The problem I think is that it's just going to take time for the schools to start teaching anatomy/biology this way, and much more social progress for trans* people will help pave the way.

This really isn't a matter of opinion, it's about getting the facts straight, and the current system in place just doesn't hold much up to reality.

ShesHalfHuman likes this.
  8. Techno Kid

Looking back at my post it makes it sound sorta like I think the current system is ok, when I don't. What I was trying to get at was that knowing bio sex would be usefull in health care and such, (can't really think of anywhere else it would be usefull for though..) but in any other space it really needs to be up to the individual person how they see their body and self and how they want others to look at it.

9. sysreq

(!) Seal of Approval From A GQ Person! Yay!

10. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I dunno, I've never had issues with the whole "sex" thing. It never comes up in everyday life anyway, aside from classification purposes, and it hasn't particularly bothered me to check "female" on my medical records and "male" or when it's awailable "other" for my gender on all other forms - though when I do this, people uninformed on what gender is usually try to correct me, which is annoying. What I do think though is that the differences between a biological classification and, you know, gender, need to be made more visible, and more importance needs to be placed on gender. I think it's the more noteworthy thing of the two, anyway, and some people are still really confused by what it even is. If I had my way, every form with an optional space for gender would have at least a third "other" option, and everyone would know what it meant instead of loudly proclaiming "but there's only men and women, why do we even need any other choices?"

11. phoenix89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The issue that I with this is that there are a lot of health issues that we must face that affect the sexes differently. Much more than just the genitalia. This is a nice idea but I do not view it as possible because of the different health concerns that the different sexes have to face. If there wasn't the health concerns weren't an issue then I would say yes, but they are a very large issue that we must acknowledge.

Sorry for playing devils advocate.

12. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This I am totally down for, by the way. We could add the third option of "intersexed" as well, which would be great for intersexed people otherwise stuck with two not-quite-right options.

13. Lindsay11

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I absolutely agree, I wish we could get rid of the entire concept of sex. I just want to live quietly and privately as a woman with no sex involved.

14. agelos

Out Status:
    Some people
    thumbs up ~^

15. Mandy

Sex just needs to be controlled not eliminated! Of course we need it to procreate, but as far as proving you are a "man" or a "woman" is totally absurd.

For example, for having sex for the sake of having sex or to prove that you love the person that you do not love is wrong. Many people do that today which is why there are so many failed relationships out there happening! Love is something within and the special love between two people usually grows when the two begin getting to know one another more. We as society have the biggest misconception about it and believe that one must have relations with the other to be an actual relationship. So we do it, and later find out that something is missing.

Sex is okay if it is used right! Bottom line is you can have a great relationship with someone without having sex!

16. Mzansi

Don't agree,
    But to each their own.

17. Double Eagle

Double Eagle Guest

Your a male with a v but your straight about being a man...I think it's harder for those who are both male and female with a v or a p because balancing and explaining is harder.

Yeah!:eusa_clap

18. Ruthven

Oh nah, I'm not talking about intercourse! Nothing wrong with actual sex the activity.
    I'm just saying let's take away that word relating to genitals cause the way it is now is very excluding. Saying for example, someone's sex is female cause they have a v, but as we know there are guys who have vs but they're not female.

I just wish it all was more inclusive, no one gets erased or shoved into boxes they don't want and stuff, you know? :slight_smile:

19. emkorora

emkorora Guest

No, I'm afraid I do not agree.

I appreciate and fully advocate for the separate distinction of only two sexes. Male, female. Furthermore, I also support the relative but arbitrary definitions of men and women. They help us classify people, nothing more.

That being said, I think there is always room for an additional category. So if there are a great number of individuals between those two sides then perhaps the classifications need to be updated.

I do want to emphasize the importance of classifying people. It may feel like a negative force in our lives but a very necessary one. Doctors need to sort people by needs, weight, age; lawyers must identify others from their race, sex, history; admissions divide people through their family history, finances, success.

Yes, lawyers do that. For better worse, sex causes an enormous change in the purpose of convincing the jury in favor of the alleged's position.

Personally, I retain a functionalist's perspective and feel that due to its prevalence in so many parts of life it must possess some irrefutable value.

20. sysreq

I was waiting for someone to misinterpret the title.