1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

My Niece's Unquenchable Thirst for Knowledge

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by angel626, Dec 5, 2013.

1. angel626

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I was watching TV with my younger niece when a commercial came on for some medication that contained testorone. Within that commercial it was saying the side effects of the medication and that to keep away from children because it can cause children to go through puberty at an earlier age. Due to that commercial it caused for her to wonder what causes people to get sex changes.

Now my niece is 13 yrs old and she has shown me a lot of acceptance and wisdom because when I was coming out I decided I would wait until she got older so she could understand better and at that time she was 11. I remember she came up to me and said "angel can I be honest?" She proceeded to calmly state "I know you like girls and I don't care; your my aunt and I love you. All that matters is your happiness." Now for an 11yr old that was amazing to see how wise she was and she made me so proud when she said that.

Well now she wants to know why people change their sex. She said she is not judging people that do that; she just wants to understand. She doesn't get why people would do that. Of course I explained gender dysphoria and that people regardless of what they identify as should not be treated any lesser. I tried to explain the best I could but she's even more confused now.

Does anyone know what I can say to explain everything to her and try to make her less confused?

2. suninthesky

I've posted this before, but I don't think it'll hurt posting it again. This is just my account of how I explained it to kids.

I had been helping a group of students writing poems. One girl was finished and turned around in her seat. Out of the blue she asked, “What’s wrong with your voice?”

At first I was a little confused. I didn’t think I was sick and even though I admittedly did need some water, I didn’t think it was anything noticeable. I replied, “What do you mean?”

I started to get an inkling of what she was talking about, so I tried to play it off as nothing. “Oh, this is how I always talk.”

“Wait. You’re a boy.. right?”

I froze for a second. I had trouble explaining myself to pretty much anyone, including people my age. How could I possibly explain myself to a 3rd grader? I million questions of my own went through my mind in that split second: Was anyone else listening? If the teachers were, what would they say? How would this kid react? Was it going to be a bigger deal than it really needed to be?

I did know one thing for sure – kids are incredibly perceptive. They know when their being lied to, or even if they aren’t being told the whole truth. I decided to just go for it, and hope I made some sort of sense.

“Well, I was born a girl, but inside I’m a boy, so this is how I express myself.”

“Oh, so you want to be a boy?”

“Yup, pretty much.”

She had a bit of a confused/incredulous expression on her face. “Why would you want to be a boy??”

I resisted the urge to insist that I didn’t just want to be a guy – I was a guy, inside, and replied, “Why do you want to be a girl?”

“Um.. so I can grow up and be pretty!!”

I laughed and jokingly flexed my arm. “Well, I want to grow up and be really strong.”

It seemed to make sense to her and the one or two others who were listening in, but that didn’t mean their questions were over. After a brief interrogation about my short haircut and whether or not I’d changed my name they seemed to just accept it and move on. If only the rest of the world could do that too…

You could try this - for a day, refer to her as male. (And tell her you're doing it so she doesn't get upset, say it might help her understand) Use he, say he's your nephew, a boy, etc. And then she might understand how that's how many trans people feel every day in addition to feeling very upset about their bodies. I dunno if that helped at all, but I tried!