1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sudden Gender Identity Crisis

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by chrisables, Dec 8, 2013.

1. chrisables

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello everyone. I stumbled across this message board and thought I'd give it a shot. So the situation is, about 3-4 weeks, its seems like out of the blue I was suddenly hit with a strange and scary gender identity crisis. The backstory is, I'm a 31 year old gay man living in L.A. who's been out for the past 8 years and I'm out to everyone in my life. I was born and raised in Texas by a single mother due to my viciously abusive and alcoholic father who abandoned us when I was 8 (pretty classic). I'm an artist by trade. Like most gay men and/or artists, I also struggle with depression, anxiety and a small form of OCD.

About a month ago, I was casually reading an article on the Huffington Post's Gay Blog section written by a man who wrote about struggling with his masculinity. At the very end of the article he suddenly talks about his decision to transition into being a woman. I was blindsided by this and left feeling uncomfortable because for the majority of the article, I related to what he spoke of in many ways.

Now I've been seeing a therapist for several months now for numerous issues; depression, anxiety, OCD, low self esteem, etc. all which subsequently run in my family. Therapy has been going really well and I'd begun to really start feeling better about myself and my therapist has on several occasions used the term, "thawing out". However, the uncomfortable feeling I got after reading that article lingered and because I am such an extremely anxious and analytical person (I'm constantly in my head) I began to worry and stress and literally make myself ill from all the bombarding thoughts regarding my gender that have suddenly begun to run through my mind. This is the most concerning part--before this, I had never had these thoughts or worries.

Like many gay men, as a child I gravitated at times toward more "girlish" activities, I avoided sports, and the majority of my friends were girls which at times would lead to ridicule and mild bullying but I was never really raised to feel immense shame for being gay. My family wasn't religious and despite growing up an extremely conservative community, I was pretty much loved and supported by everyone around me. I did however continue to grow up, especially after puberty, having a strong desire to be more masculine, more attractive, stronger, taller, more "straight", etc. due to a strong sense of inferiority and powerlessness. Accepting I was gay was much harder for me than it should have been because I would tell myself it was a phase or that I was simply admiring and envying the other guys around me.

As I said, I am completely out yet this desire and feeling to be more masculine has continued to this day (part of why I'm in therapy) and it has wreaked havoc on my self esteem...that and simply being a gay man in L.A. Subsequently, I have always had a strong dislike of effeminate gay men, drag queens, gay stereotypes and the majority of gay culture...The majority of my friends now are straight and when I'm treated like one of the guys, I enjoy it. To be honest, there were many times after coming out where I would still wish I was straight.

My issue I suppose is, I'm struggling with this now. It seems so sudden and out of place. I've mentioned it to my therapist who's been extremely supportive but so far neither one of us is convinced that this is really an issue and that this is something he sees often in his gay patients. Part of me thinks that maybe this "thawing" period that he speaks of is me exploring and finally accepting my feminine side which obviously we all have and is probably stronger than I ever wanted to admit. At times, I'm not bothered by that possibility at all but the physical sensations of anxiety and stress remain which only stirs up doubt. I've never desired to wear women's clothing or have a woman's body, I've never imagined myself in the future as a woman--I don't even find the female form attractive but then I get worked up and my mind spirals out of control and I begin picturing what all that would be like...but it never makes me happy. I manage to collect myself and really think about who I am and what I want but the truth is, I have no idea right now.

I've shared a lot and I don't know if this is something any of you have insight into but anything you can offer up would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

---------- Post added 8th Dec 2013 at 09:58 PM ----------

I forgot to mention, and I'm not sure if it matters but I, my therapist and my best friend have openly discussed several times the probability of me having a mild - severe case of body dysmorphia. Body dysmorphia is surprisingly common in men, especially gay men apparently. For a better example, I will look at myself in the mirror and I will see skinny and gangly arms, love handles, excess weight...an overall weak physique however, when I vent this, people tell me I'm "crazy."

2. SWAGboy

SWAGboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey, welcome to the forums.

I can relate to you on several levels. Firstly, I am (was) a gay man and I accepted my sexuality and then a few months later *BAM* I suddenly enter a major gender crisis that has been terrorising me and ruining my life ever since.

I discovered my transsexualism last year but prior to that I had no idea that I was a female. Before that I enjoyed having muscles and being tall and looking "manly" and having people compliment my manliness and all things like that but then out of the blue I found out I was a transsexual.

It happened after me and my friends planned to go to a party as the spice girls (as a joke sort of thing) so I decided to be Sporty Spice so I wouldn't have to wear a dress. Then I tried on the outfit in my room and then I was like "wtf am I doing" then a week later I had a revelation I was like "omg I am trans" and it flipped my world upside down and has been destroying me ever since.

I can't handle it.

Anyway, I am still at the early stages of my transition so it will probably be good to hear from people with more experience.

3. anonym

anonym Guest

I don't really know that much about being trans other than my own experience. It is only quite recently that I have properly joined this forum. All I can say is you need to give this time. I have a similar experience to SWAGBOY. I came out to myself and my therapist last year as a lesbian and then literally within a few months realised s:***: I'm trans!

It has taken me over a year though to actually accept it. To begin with I thought it was all about internalised homophobia and not being able to accept myself as a lesbian. My therapist thought this too but it turns out I'm ftm and my life has been turned upside down.

I think you just need to spend some time living with these feelings and see where they lead. That's all I can recommend for now.

4. chrisables

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you both for your responses. Now obviously, I don't know you two. I don't know the workings of your lives or your minds and I only have what you've shared to go off of but my question is, primarily for you SWAGboy, how can one single event such as wearing women's clothes suddenly lead you to believe your female? I'm not trying to be combative, I'm genuinely curious.

And in regards to the dressing up aspect, I've worn makeup before for theatre or Halloween and I'm positive I've worn women's clothes and underwear as a goof once or twice in my past. I've also spent a lot of time visualizing women's clothes the past few days but again, I get no real satisfaction out of it. It doesn't seem fun or comforting. I guess you could say there's a slight envy because women have so many more means to express themselves through fashion than men do but that does seem to be changing these days.

The whole thing leaves me asking myself, "Do I just have an appreciation for fashion and style? Do I just have an extremely overactive imagination?" For the record, I've had both the majority of my life.

5. SWAGboy

SWAGboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hey Chris, well when I was wearing it I found it quite fun (I think, I don't really remember my exact thoughts and feelings) and then I looked in the mirror and I thought "what the heck am I doing?" so I tore off the clothes and stuffed them into my wardrobe. then over the next few days I started getting weird whirring feelings then a week later I realised "OMG I am trans" and it devestated me and turned my world upside down. The event triggered the transsexualism that was laying dormant within me.

Hmm.. I can't say whether you are trans or not or what you are going through.

However earlier this year my uni did a DRAG day so I had a dress I wore for it but when I wore it I didn't feel comforted or find it fun. I do agree with you on the fashion front though, women get so many more options!

That is hard to answer and I am not sure myself. Either of those things could be possible and this could just be a minor blip of worry for you.

6. anonym

anonym Guest

I think being transexual is a lot more than about how you prefer to dress, which kinds of clothes you like etc. I'm not saying that you're not trans but for me it's more about the whole concept of gender altogether. I get uncomfortable with female pronouns and my real name, I have terrible dysphoria about my body and when I am going about my day to day life, just being seen as a woman and treated as one causes me a lot of anxiety because it's not who I am on the inside. Do you get those kinds of feelings?

7. SWAGboy

SWAGboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    How are you getting on now?