1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Body hair

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by BookDragon, Dec 9, 2013.

1. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've stumbled across a problem while removing my body hair.

I can't help but notice that no matter what I do, I seem to still have...not stubble so much (although it does come through fairly quick) but rough skin. Actually that's not QUITE what I mean...but I see most trans girls and they have lovely soft looking skin and you would think they never HAD hair to begin with, but I can't seem to be able to achieve that! Anyone got any ideas?

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hmm, maybe a good moisturizer would help?

3. Gen

Gen

Well, in regards to the actually skin, the period after hair removal is actually very important.
    The thing about body hair is that it hides skin inperfections. When you remove that 'veil', you have to start spending more time nurturing the health of your skin, especially if you are someone who is prone to rough, scarred, or dry skin. What have you been using so far?

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Umm...water? I'm going to be completely honest and say I know nothing what-so-ever about skin care!

5. Gen

Gen

Well, not to shave, what have you be using as a moisturizer/body lotion?

And does it just have a rough feel, or have you noticed any scars, break outs, or dryness?

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have been using water, because I have no idea what moisturizer or body lotion is for...I mean outside of guess work, I've never used it!

I don't know it's smoothish I guess but it just looks obviously shaved I guess...except on my arms...

7. Gen

Gen

Ok, I see what you mean. Well, you're definitely going to want to get a body lotion to begin with and start using that after shower. Moisturizers and lotions usually aren't all that different from one another so you don't have to look for anything special. The brands that are commonly sold at the same places that you buy the rest of your bathroom products should be adequate. I would just keep an eye out for lotions that contain Vitamin E, Aloe, or Shea/Cocoa Butter.

After using those for a while, if you aren't noticing any differences you might have naturally dry/rough skin in which you might have to find a rich moisturizers. In that department, I can't really help because I am only familiar with American products so you might have to do some research if it comes to that.

Now, aside from keeping your skin moisturized there are ways to improve the actual health of your skin. The two most useful additions for skin health is taking the time to understand acids and oils. Oils, especially coconut, rose, and almond, are a very good ways to provide nutrients and moisture to your skin at the same time. They can be bought organically from your average grocery story and applied to the skin overnight. The good thing about using oils is that they are perfectly natural, and even edible if store bought, so you can't really go wrong with the amount or frequency that you use them.

Acids are in the vast majority of body washes, lotions, soaps, etc. This is why if you've ever shaved your body or facial hair and went on to use most of your daily products they will often sting. Acids are actually what softens skin. If you want softer skin you are going to have to increase them, responsibly of course because you don't want to irritate or weaken your skin. If you can't find products with higher levels of salicylic, glycolic, or lactic acids, then you can definitely use natural replacements. You can mix one of the natural oils that I previously listed with a little lemon juice and apply that to the skin at night. Application to the face should not be left on for longer than 45 minutes. Application the the rest of the body can be left on overnight as long as it is washed off in the morning and the applied area is kept out of extreme, direct sunlight for at least an hour or two after. Neither should be done more than a couple times a week.

So, basically this post is outlined in necessity. A good moisturizer might be enough to give you what you are looking for. The rest are just additions you can make if you still are not satisfied yet.

8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Gen, you're wonderful. I shall give it a go! Soft skin here I come...perhaps...thanks!!

9. anonym

anonym Guest

You could try exfoliating with a body scrub or exfoliating gloves. I basically removes any layers of dead skin making it softer and smoother

10. DhammaGamer

How long have you been on hormones?

11. what razor do you use?
    do you use one with 4 blades or triple blades or a single blade?
    the more blades the closer the shave so it will be smoother.

if youre wanting a good cream to use anywhere that keeps skin soft, there is a cream called nivea soft. i use it all the time. it can go anywhere face/body/neck/hands wherever so you wont have to buy seperate products! all in one, its not expensive either! :slight_smile:

12. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Dhammer - I'm not on them yet...unfortunately. Do they make that much of a difference, all the sources I read seem to conflict with each other!!

What razor...I dunno a gillete 3 something or other? Is that a real thing?

@flyin I'll go get some and try it out, thanks for the tip!

13. im sure it is a real thing haha.

gillette exists :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: next time youre out try getting a 4 blade disposable razor to try, i think thats the highest no of blades you can get.

you could experiment with diff disposable razors, i still do to this day! some have different oils/stuff in on a cushiony slit just above the blades which keeps your skin soft. venus, the 2 blade blue ones have it as does the pink bic ones thats have 3 blades. you notice the difference if a razor has the cushiony bit or not, since i used them a few months back i havent looked back since!

idk if you have it where you are but recently a load of razors where half off in superdrug so if you have it maybe worth a trip up there and just buy a few to try out :slight_smile:

14. DhammaGamer

As they always say, YMMV. But for me, hormones have made a WORLD of difference. And I'm talking a freaking WORLD of difference. If you are serious about transitioning and about changing your body, hormones are a diehard necessity. You shouldn't even be stressing about body hair or any of that crap right now, because you still have testosterone pumping through your veins, fucking with your system. Once you've been on estrogen for a year, then start addressing the issue from a woman's perspective, because your body will have changed so much that it's going to be a totally new situation.

15. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hopefully I'll have as much luck as you! I'm like one step away from being given hormones, so hopefully that won't take too long!

16. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm personally more concerned with my facial hair, but I was looking into this the other day, and I found a new shaving cream I just picked up last night, and used this morning and I'm hooked. It's made by Aveeno, and it's got some Shea Butter in it, and it's supposed to also reduce how often one needs to shave. It's with the women's shaving supplies, if your local store separates them out. I used it this morning, and I used much less than the Gillette Proglide stuff I was using, it's creamier, and made less mess in the sink. The Proglide stuff basically made clumps of stubble in the sink when I was done, the Aveeno stuff I could see the individual hairs.

For a razor, I use a Gilette Proglide Fusion Power (5 blade razor), though I just have the Proglide blades on it right now instead of the Proglide Power blades, since I got them about half off because they were changing the packaging last time I needed to buy blades. (All of the Gillette Fusion blades will fit any Fusion handle)

Today was the first day I used the Aveeno stuff, and I don't normally use any aftershave or anything. My face is a ton smoother than it usually is after shaving. Only thing about it is, if a guy is really concerned about the smell, it does have a slightly feminine smell to it. I personally don't care.

17. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Feminine smell is good ;D I'll have a look and see if there is anything like that around here! Anything to try and stop me needing to shave my face twice a day

18. Monika the Diva

One thing I can recommend from experience because I have very smooth skin. I recommend applying coco butter every night and in the morning apply aloe Vera cream for the rough spots. Also drink lots of water. 7-8 cups of water will help keep the hydration in your skin.

19. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I figured it'd be good for you, but you know, out of 10 people with a question, 9 will stay quiet. Good luck. The other brand I saw mentioned when I was searching was Noxema.

Ellia: I did just look, and unless they put a different formula there, this is the same one I bought.
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Aveeno-Acti...0761&sr=1-1&keywords=aveeno+positively+smooth

20. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    confuzzled, you beauty! I'll try it out when I get paid ;D