1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I Think I Might Be Genderqueer?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Drednaught, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've been thinking about this recently about whether or not If I'm a male or genderqueer, as I simply cannot come to terms with what I might be. I've been a male since birth and do not feel like I am stuck in the wrong gender or anything like that, and I don't really feel like a male either. I am comfortable with being called a male and with pronouns such as he, his, or him, because everyone always uses them when referring to me. I have a feminine and masculine side to my personality, but overall I'm not too sure. I am genuinely confused.

Thanks for taking the time to read, and please tell me if you know what I might be.

2. Nick07

Hi and welcome to the forum :slight_smile:

Everyone has their feminine and masculine side. That's OK. Don't think about it too much and enjoy what you like to do, even if the society calls it a feminine thing.
    I believe you are a boy. Be happy and don't doubt your feelings :slight_smile:

3. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for replying! I am a biological male and I don't doubt that, but as far as gender identity goes I feel like that I am kind of a mixture of both. Does this mean I'm genderqueer?

4. Nick07

Hmm, I am not the right one to answer, but I thought genderqueer felt one time like a woman, and another time (period of time) as a man.
    Try to search the forum though.

5. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No; that's genderfluid whereas genderqueer means that gender identity is not male or female, or both male and female. I think I might be genderqueer, but I'm not too sure.

6. sweetiepi

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    not everyone fits into a box :slight_smile:

7. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Correct. Genderqueer is basically a catch-all term that can be used by anyone who falls outside of the gender binary and cisnormativity. This means people who blur the lines of gender identity sexual orientation and romantic orientation, have two or more genders, don't have a gender, experience a fluctuating gender identity, and even those who prefer not to give theirs a name at all could potentially label themselves as genderqueer.

Really, all we can do is provide you with more information, since the final call is yours. There are so many people and so many reasons for those people choosing to self-id as genderqueer, that there really isn't one "right" answer or description. Just because you're indifferent towards male pronouns doesn't mean you can't call yourself gq, but at the same time, doesn't say you must. Gender is something a bit more abstract and difficult to quantify, like sexuality, so it's really something you have to feel comfortable with.

Oh, and I have no problem telling people I'm male, since biologically, I am. It's terms like guy, man, dude, etc that miff me, almost as much as the expectations I'm constantly told to fulfill as someone born with XY chromosomes. This is also one reason I tend to get annoyed at the constant femme bashing within male cultures, both queer and not, and other ridiculous sexist double standards.

8. AtheistWorld

AtheistWorld Guest

Out Status:
    Some people
    Don't sound genderqueer to me.

9. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the response! I agree with what you're saying and now that I think about It, I'm probably genderqueer. I'm comfortable telling people my biological gender since It is my physiology. I think I can comfortably say that I'm genderqueer, because this matches most how I feel on the matter.

Again; thank you for the response.

#9 Drednaught, Dec 11, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  10. Skyline

I too am fine with being called male, and I always have been called that. I also do not feel like I'm stuck in the wrong body or anything like that. And I know that I don't like stereotypes, so I don't follow stereotypical gender roles.

But, at some point a couple years ago, I became to feel like there was something deeper than that. I began exploring my feminine side more, and now I realize that I genuinely would love to be a girl. But, just because I would, doesn't mean I don't also love being a guy. The more I find a balance between the two, the more happy I am.

I hope my brief summary helps you reflect a little bit on your own feelings.

11. Drednaught

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you guys for your support! After doing some research and a bit of thinking about what you guys said I can comfortably call my gender identity genderqueer. I'm happy that's the title I have found for myself. :icon_bigg Thanks guys.