1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is this internalised transphobia?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by anonym, Dec 11, 2013.

1. anonym

anonym Guest

I know I am transexual and I have less issue with saying 'I have trans feelings' but why can I not say 'I am transexual' or 'I am male' or even 'I am a man'.:confused: These statements cause me anxiety, is this internalised transphobia?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No...well, not really anyway.

Think about those statements. Think about how alien those statements are at the moment. You've gone your whole life never saying those things, in fact you've said the opposite. Everyone you've ever met has told you the opposite.

Being a guy may be your identity, but it is still a NEW identity. It's new to you, it may feel right but you've never been able to express it before. It comes in time. Heck, it took me ages to go from realising I'm a girl to being able to see and it say it! I still know who I am, and by the sounds of things you know who you are. Don't let it worry you!

3. anonym

anonym Guest

Thanks! Maybe it is the unfamiliarity of those terms? I also feel it's down to the responsibility/expectations that the role of being a man involves. :confused:

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Quite possibly, but remember you don't have to live up to any of those. There isn't a set of rules, no matter what anyone tells you!