1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Different gender within head?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by thisisawug, Dec 11, 2013.

1. thisisawug

So up until now I have always thought of myself as a cisgender female and have never questioned my gender, but EC has made me more aware of different gender identities and I've become mildly curious about my own gender.

The thing is, I am comfortable with my female body and happy being a girl within the outside world. But I also spend a ridiculous amount of time imagining whole elaborate scenarios within my head, in which I am comfortable playing the role of (for lack of a better term) a boy or a girl, gay or straight.

So I guess I'm wondering whether it's possible to be sort of androgynous within your own mind but still be entirely comfortable as a female in the "real" world.

This is really just me being curious, and I absolutely do not wish to offend anybody with more difficult issues with gender identity, I guess I'm just curious as to how gender identity "works" as such.

Thanks for any advice! :slight_smile:

2. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I think so. I know a lot of cispeople who casually role-play and imagine life as the opposite sex. Hey, I used to role-play, lol. Not unusual at all. Think this is probably true for any situation- people like to imagine what they'd be like or do as a different race/social class/nationality/born in a different time and yet be totally comfortable with their current life.

3. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So basically what you are describing is somewhere between empathy and a fantasy! :slight_smile:

How it works is kind of weird, so I'll try and explain a little from my perspective.

So you get people like me, fully trans people.

So for me, I'm not comfortable with my male body. It's awful and makes me feel bad. On the inside, I feel 'like a girl' which is difficult to describe because it means so many different things to so many different people. It just makes sense to me that mentally I am a girl,so I'm transitioning and slowly becoming a girl on the outside the same as inside!

That being the opposite to cisgender who are happy with their bodies as they are, and as it turns out find the idea of being the opposite gender really disturbing. There are people who have tried switching as an experiment and have gone insane from it! Nasty stuff!

There are loads of bits in the middle, genderqueer, androgynous, agender, all sorts. Agender people don't feel like they belong to either gender. Androgynous...I'm not sure really...I know they like to express bits of both but I'm really not sure, you'd have to ask someone else! Genderqueer or genderfluid...could be either depending on the day. (By the way if I got any of that wrong and someone who identifies as any wants to correct, please please do!!)

See there is being comfortable with the idea and then there is actually needing to do it! What it sounds like is that the idea doesn't put you off. There are some aspects of being a guy that you quite like the idea of.

What does that make you? No idea, but it's not anything to be worried about either way. Hope that helped.

4. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's ok to be curious, and you're question is in no way offensive. I think a lot of cis-people casually imagine scenarios like this while still being comfortable with who they are! And it's perfectly fine. :slight_smile:

I guess gender identity "works" differently for different people. For me, I never really felt comfortable with being a girl full-time, and I'd rather look dapper than pretty any day. I think of myself as non-binary, because I don't really relate to strongly gendered people on either end of the spectrum. Even though I see myself like that, I still want to transition, because my internal image of myself is of a male-bodied person, and I think I would be a lot happier as a guy. I don't really know why that is or how long it's been like that, but that's just the way I see me. I get body dysphoria a lot, and it has put a strain on a lot of my relationships because it's hard for my boyfriends to understand. Like ElliaO said, some of us just need to do it!

5. thisisawug

Thanks everyone!
    Yeah, it's definitely not a necessity, just a tiny little part of me that I'm feeling a little curious about and will maybe explore someday. I refuse to be defined only by my gender anyway, so it's nothing to worry about, but thanks for all the advice, I feel like I understand a lot better now :slight_smile: