1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

voice help???

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by nepeta, Dec 16, 2013.

1. nepeta

hi there! i was born biologically female, yet I often try to pass as male as it makes me much more comfortable with myself. i'm pretty sure i've got it down pat actually! the only thing that gives it away is my voice. it is pretty high and feminine and i'm not quite sure how to make it seem more masculine. i've tried to imitate male voices that i hear, but it always comes out fake-sounding. does anyone know how to lower voices? (without the use of hormones and such?) thank you!

2. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are some exercises you can do to gradually lower your voice. One I know is the Ding-Dong-Bang-Bong-Ping-Pong..ect. one. You just do it with your normal voice, and then gradually go lower. You should be careful not to hurt your voice with it, though. Just stop if you feel uncomfortable.

3. Mister Ghosty

Parroting actors, singing to male parts in songs, and reading books aloud in a lower tone will all help! The voice will change with practice, and what originally feels fake will eventually feel quite natural!

I'm in a similar position as a trans man trying to get rid of my girly auto-voice. I've had a lot of success! I was kinda dubious and nervous at first, because changing your voice sounds like something people would call you out on, but I've been training it for almost a year, and no one's even mentioned it, even though I've made good progress!

So yeah, patience, confidence, and it will get there. Just changing pitch is all you need. Talk with the same melody and inflection as you always do, just in a lower range. And it's pretty fun actually, so enjoy yourself. :3