1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Questions for gender fluid, third gender, and genderqueer people

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by tatamg, Dec 17, 2013.

1. tatamg

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi! :icon_bigg I'm a lesbian cis-girl, and before I began accepting myself I was slightly homophobic, not in the sense that I thought it was morally wrong, but more "weird" and hard to understand. I'm realizing I have those same feelings for genderqueer , in particular genderfluid and third gender people. I know very little about gender identity outside of FtM and MtF, and that probably has something to do with it.

Anyway, I hate feeling like I'm not accepting of a group of people just because I don't understand or because I have very little experience with it. I want to expand my horizons so to speak, so I would love it if you guys could share stories about being genderqueer and what it's like so I can know more about it. I'm more interested in the personal side to it, since you can read a lot about something on wikipedia and the like but still not quite understand it.

A few specific questions:
    For people who identify as genderfluid, what is switching like? Is it sudden or more gradual?
    What exactly is "third gender"?
    Do any of you use invented gender-neutral pronouns like ze, xe, etc.?

Also, if I said something that's in any way offensive or phrased something wrong, please correct me so I don't do it again. :slight_smile: Thanks so much!

2. sometimebefore

I can't answer for all gender fluid people, but my gender-fluid friend from my summer school would basically wake up one morning as a guy and the next as a gal. It probably depends on the person.
    To my knowledge, third gender is a term used mostly in far-eastern countries (Thailand, Laos, the Philippines, and the like) that describes people who trans* (those who do not identify as cisgender for their birth sex)
    I have not asked anyone to use any pronouns aside from the male ones I have grown up hearing. I am sure I will adjust, but I would prefer people use my name or perhaps female pronouns (which sound more generic to me) than use ze, etc. Then again I am a transwoman, and am not very non-binary at all, so those pronouns do not really apply to me in any sense.

#2 sometimebefore, Dec 17, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2013