1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Does anyone experience doubts about being trans*?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by bluerain, Dec 19, 2013.

1. bluerain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey. Ever since I came out to my family as transgender I have been having some background doubts about the validity of my feelings. When I'm away from my home, say at school, I have no doubts about what I feel and am able to fully express myself as male. However, when I visit my family, the doubt about my gender sets in. It's strange because when I say, "Hey, maybe you're not completely male or maybe you're in-between or you're just making a huge mistake and you're really completely female," I know that it's not true. It wouldn't feel comforting to "un-transistion" so to speak. So why am I so doubtful? Is this common?

2. SWAGboy

SWAGboy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    All transsexuals get some doubts, that is perfectly normal.

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's normal. For me, I shouldn't have any real doubts, because I've been that way since I can remember. But, like you, when I'm around people I'm not out to, or when people misgender me, I feel like my identity is being put into question and I hate it. It makes me doubt a bit, and that's why I get tense when people misgender me. Because trans people are rare, we doubt ourselves even more because we can't see them with our very eyes most of the time.

4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "However, when I visit my family, the doubt about my gender sets in."

You're going to want to elaborate on this a bit my friend :slight_smile:

Family have a weird effect on people that causes them to rethink everything they've ever done, even if it was excellent. Something about familial expectation and these crazy plans every parent seems to make about how their child will turn out.

So tell us. When you're back with family, how do you feel. What is it that makes you go "SHIT! Was I wrong!?" when you come home??

5. bluerain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's not a "oh shit!" so to speak, as a lingering feeling. As if there's something floating in the air. When I'm not home, I have no doubts. I'm comfortable and easy going. When I see my family, I'm anxious and doubt filled. Perhaps because they are reminders of me pre-transitsition?

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You ever think you might just feel generally uneasy around your family for whatever reason? I mean we ALL do it, you're on your own and you can be yourself, you spend time with family and all of a sudden we have to watch ourselves, be on our 'best behaviour'. Perhaps you just notice the gender related stuff more because it's bigger.

It's also worth remembering that for something to be considered a 'doubt' it's usually something that you think you might have been wrong about. You know you're not wrong, perhaps you worry your family thinks it was wrong, I know I do, just remember the times your on your own living how YOU feel you should be. :slight_smile:

7. drwinchester

drwinchester Guest

I feel the same way around family. I mean, do they accept you?

Like, when I'm apart from family, being male's the most natural thing to me and I wouldn't go back. But my family? Let's just say being trans isn't the best way to keep things cool. Really does make one think about why they're transitiong.

But you know what? You're transitioning to be you. You've got no one to prove to. Your family may miss a daughter but in front of them's a son, who they should be glad to have. :slight_smile: