1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

With this effect prescribing hormones

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Caillin, Dec 23, 2013.

1. Caillin

Like lets say a transgender person has a certain personality disorder can the doctor see that and not allow them to go on HRT? like as an example schizoid or bi-polar personality disorder think thats a thing.

2. sometimebefore

I think that most personality disorders will not bar you from getting HRT. But I am not well-versed in medical practice, so I am not a definitive source on this.
    -Clara

3. Just Jess

It's possible that a therapist wouldn't give you a letter of recommendation until you had those problems treated.

Just as an example, if someone had borderline personality, and they had recently been arrested for violent abuse, medicating that person with testosterone might make that problem worse. If on the other hand, they had other medicine for that problem, and testosterone wouldn't interfere with that other medicine, and therapy for their other problem was effective, then a therapist would probably feel better about giving them hormones.

Not all problems will prevent you from getting hormones, and the ones that would, are mostly ones you can deal with first, and then you can usually get HRT. I've had PTSD, and I got a letter of recommendation.

A therapist is going to want to know that you know you are trans and want to transition, that you know the risks, that you're capable of transition, and that transition would be an improvement in your life in spite of the challenges. That's as far as their professional obligation goes.

You don't have to be saner than non-trans people to transition though. Normal people have all kinds of mental health problems from time to time; they just don't admit to them or seek treatment for them because of the stigma.