1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

When people claim to be supportive

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Caillin, Dec 29, 2013.

1. Caillin

So i really dont know I was not expecting this. Im researching sites for phalloplasty and my goodness the errors they keep making. Several times have i seen Someone talking about it and referring trans men to women its like no no thats not right if you need to clarify it at least call us trans men to make people understand better not women. It got me thinking i find it especially funny not so funny but in a way when someone claims to be supportive and everything or educate someone and then they say something that could offend transgender people and dont even realize what they said was wrong. One time i was reading some person talking about they freaked out when they found out their boyfriend was trans and outed him to his friends and one person commented "you should not have outed him like that you could have put her in danger" I cant remember the sentence exactly but they said her twice and its like what how do you even refer to him as a guy then a girl in the same freaking sentence. I do get you are trying to be supportive but at least do some research when I learned about the LGBT community I did my research on different sexuality and spectrum of it just to ya know not sound like a ignorant person and actually learn more about it. (!)

2. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know what you're talking about. The people I came out to claim to be supportive, but here's some things they've said to me.

''So, why are you transitioning?''
    ''You already look like a boy! Why do you want to transition!?''
    ''You can't force people to call you by your name until it is legally changed.''
    ''You can't be asexual.''

The two last ones were said by my psychologist and doctor respectively. Sucks how people claim to understand while saying such stupid things, right?

3. Caillin

Exactly! I hate when you say youre asexual and the person goes you just haven't met the right person your just young its like I dont think you really say that to someone who was certain they were gay then why say it to someone who is certain to be asexual. Psychologist can be morons ive never been to one but ive heard stories of some.

4. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Oh i have a great one from my dad "it's just a phase". Seriously though, some people who claim they know your exact troubles really have no clue. But in their defense, it's pretty hard to explain what it means to be trans*. It's considered a mental illness, which ticks me off.

5. Caillin

Well its not a mental illness now im pretty sure they took it off but people still see it that way. My mom said she thinks itll pass and that I shouldn't buy a binder because it would ruin my chest. :/

6. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

It's your body though... and binders are less dangerous than homemade binding.

It would surprise me if they took it down as a mental illness actually. But I'll look into it.

7. Caillin

Yeah well they did I think its still consider something but not mental illness they changed that but made it so we can still get therapy or covered by some insurance.

8. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I surely have some other that I could list, too. Oh yes! Here's some other that are cringe worthy.

''You shouldn't even be doing any of that until you have the official paper!''
    ''You can't force people to see you as a boy.'' (again with the psychologist...)
    ''When I first knew you, I wasn't sure if you were a boy or a girl. Hence, everyone should be like that, too.''
    ''If it were me, I would do everything to look more masculine.'' (referring to my hair)
    ''Your face looks like a boy's, yes, but your hair, not at all!'' (after showing my graduation picture and saying I looked really boyish on it)
    ''A relationship with no sex in it is a friendship.''

My hair isn't even that long. It was pretty much shoulder length before I had it cut (So regretting it right now! I pass less with shorter hair!). So funny all the things they come up with to invalidate asexuality... With gender, they just say massively offensive stuff without knowing it.

9. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Well it's good that we can still get therapy. That's a concern, therapy isn't cheap that's for sure.

---------- Post added 30th Dec 2013 at 01:08 PM ----------

I totally get the hair thing. I like longer hair, with short hair I kinda look butch. :/

10. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Exactly what I've been trying to tell them, with no success :\ Half of the boys at school have the exact same haircut I had (granted, a lot of them are metalheads, but still).

11. Caillin

My hair is medium length dont think ill ever go much shorter then what I have now.

12. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

My GF complains about my hair being to long, it's hard to explain to her that I may be male but I still like it on the longer side.