1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opposite of Androgyny

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by KazTastic, Dec 30, 2013.

1. KazTastic

Hi,

I'm technically MAAB, but I don't really feel particularly masculine, nor do I feel particularly feminine. I don't really like labels, but I seem to fit in the best as either genderqueer or genderfluid. However, most people I know who aren't cisgender are gifted with androgynous bodies (petite build, delicate hands and feet, pretty face, not overly hairy, able to grow their hair long, etc.), and of course, I inherited my father's large, masculine Turkish body, which throws a spanner in the works when it comes to gender expression.

As I probably won't be able to assume an androgynous form, I'm thinking of going the complete opposite direction - using both masculine and feminine features, clothing and accessories. However, I'm not sure what it's called. Would it be considered genderfucking, drag, cross dressing, or something completely different?

How viable is it to go out in public with that style (I live in a gentrified area in a relatively progressive city)? Do any of you have any tips on dressing like that?

Thank you

2. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

I believe it's drag. But I could be wrong. I know you're situation, I have an extreme female body so it's hard to be "neutral".

I'd definitely confirm the progressiveness in your area before going out in public, though.

3. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Drag is an extremely specialized version of dressing as the opposite sex. It's not trying to pass but an extremely obvious and garish form of crossdressing usually.

Crossdressing is the catch all phrase for opposite sex attire.

Passing is dressing and looking convincingly enough to be fooled into thinking you are your hetero normative opposite sex.

Androgynous dressing is that gender neutral dressing. Like skinny jeans and tight shirts. Perhaps wearing light colors like pink or baby blue.

I'm fairly neutral body type so I can pass in public sometimes.

4. Starry Eyes

Starry Eyes Guest

Technically, I would say the opposite of androgyny could be seen as being a hyper masculinity devoid of almost any feminine trait or hyper femininity devoid of almost any masculine trait.

It seems like what you are saying is you can't be more androgynous because of your body type but still want to dress more feminine?

Hmm, I would say you might just want to "accessorize fashionably" rather than going out in a dress if you feel that you might encounter problems for doing so.

5. KazTastic

When I'm thinking of the opposite of androgyny, I'm thinking of having both feminine and masculine qualities contrasting with each other, kind of like a bright pink Dodge Ram covered in Hello Kitty and My Little Pony decals. Then again, maybe I'm talking out of my butt. According to Wikipedia, my definition seems to match quite well with genderfucking rather than drag, but then again, I'm not 100% experienced with it.

#5 KazTastic, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Put it this way, you've got to have, if you'll pardon the expression, some serious balls to do what you're talking about.

I don't pass and I know it, but I try! Going out there knowing damn well you won't pass and celebrating it is something else...

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wait wait wait... I have seen a hello kitty truck straight up decaled out with pink fur interior and a kitty exhaust pipe. The person driving it was an incredibly large bearded man. Still, very cool.

Ok well sorry to get off topic.

#7 Kasey, Dec 30, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  8. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

^this. OP please make sure your area is as progressive as you portray it.

9. KazTastic

While it isn't the gay village, I see same sex couples walking together holding hands, and the local council even holds LGBTIQ forums, so it's certainly no bible belt.

10. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a whopping great difference between same-sex couple and man-in-a-dress. I'm not saying you're going to get hate-crimed or anything but I will be astonished if you didn't have people come up to you asking why the fuck you're wearing a frock!

People don't ask me because it's obvious. I don't pass, but I'm clearly WANT to. If you're planning on going out and mixing and matching just be prepared to answer to a lot of people who think you've lost a bet...

11. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

^Just cause it's LGB doesn't mean it's T aswell.

12. confuzzled82

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The way you are describing it, I think you are referencing genderfuck presentation.

The way I see it, androgyny is a blending of the male and female features. Genderfuck is stark contrasting of masculine and feminine features on the same person.