1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Miiaaaaa, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I was in my exam today and finished after 10 minutes, it was a horrible exam!!
    But, as you're not allowed to leave in the first 45 minutes, I had some time to think.

And what I kept thinking about is "What is the point?"
    Why am I even bothering, if I'm not happy. I'm there because I "should" be. I hate my course, it's boring and it's either too difficult or too easy! Doing a joint honours degree, my schedule is absolutely terrible. I must be the only uni student in the world with 25+ hours a week and 5 9am starts. The departments never communicate with each other and it's just a fucking hassle!
    And on top of that, I have to deal with gender issues...

I'm going to have to speak to a doctor or therapist soon, before I just give up all together and drop out.

Anyway, sorry for the rant. Just venting!

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    *hugs* 'cause I don't know what else to say!

3. Just Jess

25? You're more of a masochist than I was!

Keep at it though! If you're doing this now, it means you can relax more future semesters and you'll have room to pad your schedule in a smart way.

College tests your grit and resolve more than anything else. The people that don't make it through are the people that quit.

I know what you mean though, it's like you'll have 3 weeks of easy part and then the hard part will be a lecture or two. Make it out of college and you can learn at your own pace again, it is an amazing feeling picking up a book and just going through it as fast as you want to with nothing being graded and no deadlines. Or become a grad student, most of that's research or long projects so again, no artificial one-curriculum-fits-every-student pacing.

4. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't get a choice with regards to schedule. Joint honours don't get to choose their modules. :frowning2:
    I don't see why it's useful though. I don't want to do it all after uni and if I just scrape a pass, there's no extra chance I'd get a job really.

Are grad students the same as PHDs?

I'm also a very exam oriented person. I normally do really well in exams. This one was a nightmare though. Don't even think I got the 10% I needed to pass.

But the thing is, why should I carry on with it? Feels like I'm getting into debt for nothing.

And thanks Holly, could do with a hug right now!

5. anonym

anonym Guest

I'm trying to study with gender issues too and it is a nightmare (*hug*)

6. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
  7. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    My current class load has me going from 10AM to 9PM two days a week not including my travel time, so I know maybe a little about wonky hours. It's really important to know why your going to school because that is what is going to pull you through the hard times. (I have had hard times. I flunked out one year.) I don't think I can tell you if you should or shouldn't be going to school. That's something you need to think about yourself. There are many paths. It's not as though the honors club is the best way to progress for everyone. (I turned down a invite to the honors program because I looked at it and made the choice that it wasn't really worth it for me.)

#7 Girishbbe, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  8. MarvinMinsky

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I couldn't finish college because of money.

Now I work 88 hours a week cleaning the asses of people who cannot wipe their own ass.
    (Don't get me wrong. I love my job. Working with people who have no functional arms is actually very fufilling work. But it doesn't pay well, the hours are long, and I have to clean actual asses.)

So, the point might be, more suffering now to avoid suffering later.

9. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    That's the thing, I'd probably have the same job whether I finish my degree or not. I'm sticking with it though, because I have nothing else. :/

10. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    If it's true you will end up at the same job, then you are wasting time/money in school. (If it is true that is.) You could spend time trying to find the job you want see if you really can do it now. You could also change your major into something helpful.

#10 Girishbbe, Jan 6, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2014
  11. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Can't change, student finance won't cover it. And there's no way I could pay £12,000 a year either.

12. Girishbbe

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Well. I guess my idea might be stick with what your doing for now. Then when summer comes around, look into other options for you. You should be able to find money for other programs collages have lots of scholarships and financing options. It would also let you job search and find out if you can work without a degree. That could give you perspective on how needed or not needed it is.

What are you studying anyway?

13. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Maths and Physics. :/

And yeah, I'm sticking with it because I might as well finish it. Whether or not I actually get a better job because of it, I don't know. But we'll have to see.

14. An Gentleman

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ Those are pretty "high-tier" majors though.
    It'll pay off! Just keep on going. :thumbsup:
    Good job = less debt = less stress for you later!