1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Androgyne?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Estival, Jan 6, 2014.

1. Estival

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hi, everyone! I'm leaning towards androgyne on the gender identity spectrum (I think), but while I have a vague idea of what it means to be androgyne, can anyone define it in terms of experiences? I've seen the official definition, but I can't tell if it fully applies to me just from that. Thank you so much!

2. Nick07

Hi and welcome to EC.

I don't know the answer, but maybe someone else will?

3. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Welcome to EC.
    Hope you find the answers you're looking for. :slight_smile:

4. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey, so I was told there was an androgyne thread that needed help. I'm guessing this is it?

Anyway, my personal definition of being androgyne means that mentally, you're both male and female, while at the same time not really being either. The kinds of experiences that I get practically scream that at me. Since you asked for some experiences, here are some good ones:

1. When I was around 10-ish, my sister and I would watch "My Neighbor Totoro" to ad nauseum. We watched it over and over, every day for a good year or so. I ended up memorizing the entire script (although most of that may be gone from my memory now). There came a period of time when I thought about doing a stage version of it with just my sister and I. My sister would be Mei, and I'd be pretty much everyone else. While I wasn't offended or anything with the idea of wearing a dress, I thought of trying to cover all the costumes at once by wearing a tye-die T-shirt. The thing never happened, but I think it speaks volumes about my gender.

2. I once put on a pair of panties (maybe it was a thong) to see what the big deal about it was. I never saw anything except for the fact it was just underwear.

3. In 4th grade, I'd noticed that I hung out with a lot of girls. Not to "pick up chicks" or anything like that, just be genuine friends. So at one point, I wondered if I *actually* was a boy. I thought that while I had a penis, I was a boy, but if there were some way I was actually somewhere in the middle between being a boy and being a girl, that's where I'd most likely be.

4. I seem to relate to the most androgynous characters in anime/manga and other shows, although that might just be me as an audience member. Examples are Haruhi from Ouran Host Club, Kana and Kaji from Seiyuu Crush, BMO from Adventure Time, and Shuichi and Ryuichi from Gravitation.

5. I have one of the most androgynous jobs as far as gender roles go, and that's post-production. It relies heavily on both logic and emotion. It's kind of like magic, where the kind of thinking you do is logical thinking, but it's about emotions and illusion.

6. My body reacts like a girl's. The only way I get the sexual mentality of a guy is through a fetish. Otherwise, I ogle at guys like Benedict Cumberbatch, David Tennant and Tom Daley (although that's just me being gay), and my body reacts more to *being* touched rather than touching.

WITH ALL OF THIS SAID:

I can't really tell you directly whether or not you're androgyne. I could make some sort of guess, but it may not be entirely accurate. The only person who can say that is you. And that may take a week, that may take 5 years. It took me about a few months to identify with being androgyne, but 3 years before I stopped being entirely confused.

Hope this helps :slight_smile:

5. Jaybird

Jaybird Guest

Hey there,

I'm starting to experiment with androgyny as well. I'm not entirely sure what you mean by defining it in terms of experience; I'm assuming that you mean you want to know what it feels like to be androgynous and what it means to be an androgynous person aside from just looking the part. Well, since I'm only experimenting with androgyny for the time being and don't actually identify as such yet, it's difficult for me to explain, and I can't claim to fully understand it myself. However, here is a great article written by an androgynous woman on this very topic. This, I think, explains extremely well what it is like to be an androgynous person from the inside out, rather than the outside in, as most articles tend to focus on.

If you ever want to chat about androgyny or anything like, feel free to send me a message! I hope this helps a little bit. Sorry I couldn't explain it more in my own words!

Jay

6. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

My personal definition of "Androgyne" is:

Le creature androgine appartengono al terzo sesso: non figli del Sole come gli uomini, non figlie della Terra come le donne, ma figli della Luna, che nasce dalla natura di entrambi.

It means, in english:

The androgynous creatures belong to the third sex: they are not sons of the Sun as men, not daughters of the Earth as women, but children of the Moon, which arises from the nature of both.

#6 FireSmoke, Jan 7, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 7, 2014
  7. darklord

This probably won't answer your question, as I am confused myself... But I'll post it anyway, just for thoughts.

When thinking about gender-related traits, I think one should really consider (and study before claiming) whether there is any scientific evidence to them being gender-related, or if they are social constructions and expectations/stereotypes. I haven't studied the subject much so I don't claim to know anything, I'm just questioning.

I'd suspect androgyny to be (instead of personality traits) more like female and male gender identities: based on whether you feel like a woman or like a man inside. An androgyne would feel somewhat like both genders.

Personally I have a gender preference, even though it is not very extreme (as in, very effeminate guy). I also experience dysphoria about my current physical gender. That is why I suspect I might not be an androgyne after all. Hope this helped, still.

8. Estival

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thank you all so much! Ryuichi, your experiences helped a lot, and so did your definition - I wasn't sure if you could be 'neither' at the same time, which I think may be what I feel right now. I can relate to your experiences a lot! And Jaybird, thank you too. That article was really interesting - I really like her definition, and I'm taking the linked quiz now. Good luck experimenting - I'd love to chat sometime. :slight_smile: FireSmoke, that's a really lovely definition. It's really pretty - I like the sound of it. And darklord, that's a really good point. Honestly, I'm still confused about gender and how it's separate from personality traits - I know it is, but it's all very confusing! Though it is something to think about.

Sorry for replying all at once (and sorry if it's weird to reply like this)! My e-mail swallowed up most of the thread alerts.

Does anyone know how removed personality traits are from gender identity? Does it deviate from person to person? I should probably know exactly what gender is, first, before trying to determine mine. :slight_smile:

9. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

:icon_bigg :kiss:

If I understand well (I don't speak english), I think it depends from person to person. Looking the people talking, walking and dressing clothes of the gender you want to make yours, it's efficacious. :slight_smile:

10. Estival

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks. :slight_smile: So it's just how you feel inside, and if you decide that gender is personality, then it is, and if not, then it's not? I'll talk to some people then. :slight_smile: I'm pretty sure I'm androgyne, now. It just feels right, and I guess that's what gender is to me.

11. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    How did the test go? I scored -3.
    I feel I'm also somewhere in the middle, not sure if I'm androgyne though.
    Before the BSRI I tried a 'brain sex ID' test, don't remember the exact name, and I also got half masculine, half feminine.

12. FireSmoke

FireSmoke Guest

You're welcome! :icon_wink

13. Estival

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I scored -4! So basically androgynous. Though it seems to vary from day to day (how I feel, at least).

Neat. Well, I don't know if stereotypical masculine and feminine traits are enough to determine it. It all comes down to what gender is, I guess.

14. Jinkies

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Funny enough, I always get "feminine" on the Bem test, although on the COGIATI, I always get "androgyne". But yeah, it's all what you decide it comes down to.

15. Estival

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Oh, that's interesting! I think I'll take that test too, if only just for fun...I'm pretty solid on my gender now. :slight_smile: Should change my profile thingy...

16. Estival

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm sorry for double posting...I'm not sure if I can edit posts.

Anyway, in case anyone was curious, I scored androgynous on both tests. Thank you so much everyone! You all helped a ton, and I feel a lot better about myself now. Thank you, again!