1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Always wondered about my gender...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by JHays, Jan 6, 2014.

1. JHays

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    The title sort of says it all, for as long as I can remember I've always questioned my natural born gender, but never quite been sure if I'm transgendered or not. I suppose I'll begin with when I first began questioning. I was born male, but as early as three I can clearly remember questioning and recognizing the differences between girls and myself. Growing up I was always drawn to toys and games that were typically seen as girl toys and I socialized with girls much better as a result, typically having more than a few girls as extremely close friends, something that continued until about fourth grade. I know that could potentially mean nothing, just thought it should be mentioned. Anyways, when I was about four I can remember laying in bed and wondering about what it would feel like in the future to have a woman's body, even going so far as to use stuffed animals to simulate a woman's body. This would continue for a number of months and then return just to wondering for a number of years on and off. When I was about 11 my parents bought me a computer which they left unrestricted, and after enough time I found out about transsexuality through the Internet and began wondering if I was transsexual, although I never went so far as to talk with anyone about it, at least not as far as I remember. Shortly after this I began crossdressing for reasons I can't begin to remember, always just focusing on looking feminine. Then puberty struck and crossdressing/feminization found itself tied in thickly into my sexuality. I won't go into details, but let's say that it continued up into modern day as I've slowly grown more and more accustom to wearing women's clothing, and I'm actually able to wear them comfortably.

Anyways that's my story so you can know the background. I wanted to ask if anyone would be willing to help talk me through trying to figure out my gender identity. On the one hand I've had thoughts about being transgender since as long as I can remember, but I've never exhibited several traits associated with transsexuality, namely I've never had any problem with my genitals and never fully questioned their presence. I live comfortably as a male, although for many years I've felt unsatisfied in a way with my body I can't define, and I've made several attempts to make myself more masculine from getting into better shape to growing masculine facial hair. Aside from the questioning thoughts that have existed as long as I remember, not feeling completely satisfied with my body, and generally never being a typical male (I've always been rather shy, reserved, and hesitant), I haven't had many issues with my gender. I'm extremely confused inside and with the recent resurgence of these feelings I wanted to finally ask about it. I find it a very real possibility that I just think solving this problem would fill a void I've needed filled for a long time, as the last time these feelings subsided was when I had my last girlfriend.

So I wanted to ask what you all thought about my issue and If anyone had a similar story to mine.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Part of me wants to ask what answer you want to hear from us, I say this purely because from what you've written I have a thought that comes strongly to mind, I just wonder where it sits in your head :slight_smile:

Anyway, with regard to your issues, you've correctly identified the difference between being transgender and transsexual, and I think at the moment it would be wise to keep that strongly in mind. No use trying to convince yourself you need to completely transition if you don't! It could simply be that you enjoy crossdressing, or it could be something more but I would not like to put words in your mouth, so instead I will ask you something else.

When you cross dress, how do you feel and how is it different to normal?

3. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Going with this and awaiting further information. :slight_smile:

4. JHays

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Honestly, every time I've cross dressed for the past few years it has felt completely normal, almost typical. It's comfortable to cross dress, but that's not to say I'm uncomfortable in male clothing, both feel normal on my skin and in my head.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK then, that could be interesting :slight_smile:

Could you possibly go into some detail about this feminization you've been doing?