1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

For trans* people...

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by bluerain, Jan 8, 2014.

1. bluerain

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    When you dream at night, and you're in your dream, who are you represented as? Do you look like what you look like in reality, or do you dream that you have another body or are someone else? I've been curious about this for a while- In other words, do you dream up yourself as you biologically are or as the gender you identify with? Thank you!

2. anonym

anonym Guest

This is an interesting question! I am not yet transitioning socially or physically but for me, I am not a man in my dreams, or a woman any more. At the moment I would say I am not ANYTHING. I am just 'me'.

3. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm me in the first person in the few dreams that I remember or even dream about myself. But I don't normally dream.

4. Sarcastic Luck

Both. I always have. Though, since realizing things I've had a few dreams where I knew I was trans, others knew I was trans and didn't care.

....Biggest kick in the metaphorical balls was transitioning, namely, getting top surgery and my parents were supportive.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm finding that at the moment, mostly if notice myself in my dreams I appear as I am. Presented as a girl, but still very much male bodied...although I only tend to notice it if it comes up as part of the plot of the dream!

More often I am finding I will have real boobs in dreams, which is nice!

6. DhammaGamer

I used to dream as the old me. I don't anymore.

7. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I appear male. Most of the time, I know I'm trans, but I hide or I fear of getting misgendered or something similar. Though, there was one time that I had a dream in which I was swimming and I had a male chest. Oh, if only!

8. Silenthe

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Most of my dreams are as a transman (female bodied but acknowledged in the dreamworld as a man). Other times, I dream that I am a woman (female bodied and addressed as a woman), but even in the midst of the dream, I will wonder, "Why am I a woman? This is not right..." Very rarely, I dream I have a male body.

In the dreams in which I am a transman, there will be a lot of anxiety about the dream people being able to see my body. I will often dream of restrooms. I always enter the men's restroom, but the set up will be strange, such as the toilets having no walls or doors, and I have to use the toilet in the open, and so I will walk everywhere, searching for a room with no people, and the bathroom will turn into a maze with many rooms. When I find an empty room, and have pulled down my pants and sat down, suddenly someone will enter, and I will be afraid that they will see me, and for some reason or another, they can't see me, but I will still be afraid.

9. Oddish

Oddish Guest

Myself, in the first-person, so my gender doesn't play any significant role in my dreams. In that case, I don't think of myself as biologically male in my dreams, but neither do I focus on my body/my gender much.

10. clockworkfox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My dreams are predominantly first-person, so I don't usually have a lot to go by. I'm usually either ambiguous, ftm, or male though. It's rare I'll have a mirror to look in in my dreams, though in one dream I had recently I did, and I was male. My gender and sex fluctuated throughout the dream though.

11. June Cleaver

I'm always a woman with a woman's body in my dreams, never is there an issue with me being a man in my dreams. of course I am female so it only makes sense it would be that way. The real nightmare comes when I wake up and realize I'm still having the wrong equipment below........ June

12. Just Jess

This is going to sound really sad, but most of the time when I remember my dreams, I'll take a problem I was dealing with during the day and I'll imagine solving it. Like if I'm having money problems, I'll find a lot of money somewhere. In school it started being things like math problems, and of course the answers I would come up with would be complete crap. It's carried into work. Every once in a while I'll come up with something that way, but yeah. That's mostly how my dreams work. It's the same kind of thinking I do when I'm taking a really hard test, just I guess the best way to describe it is I have no way to tell what the right answer is, so if like "pour hot chocolate into the playstation" came to mind then that would be the right answer and I would just run with it.

So my gendered dreams, I remember one very vididly when I was 12. My babysitter at the time had the girls stay in the kitchen and clean up while the boys went to the living room. So I dreamed I got to stay in the kitchen :slight_smile: And when I asked why, I got told to go to the bathroom and look in the mirror, and that was the first time I ever saw myself as a woman. I'd wanted to be one before then, I'd even started sneaking undies before then, but in the dream I was the real deal and everyone knew it.

But any more if I have anything like that, it's just something like... trying hard to even remember one, everything's work projects, again it's really sad my imagination just is not what it once was. I had one where I vaguely remember everyone but my ex has accepted me as a woman.

13. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That is SO friggin cute! :3

14. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    For me, it goes back and forth. I've been male in my dreams recently. I have some where I still see myself as female though. It just really depends on the dream and the context of the dream though.

15. AudreyB

AudreyB Guest

Only had a few dreams where I appeared as anything but male. :frowning2:

16. Niko

90% of my dreams I have no gender, I just appear as me. But the other 10% where I do have a gender, I'm male and male bodied.

17. Tayb24

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've found that I primarily dream as how I am currently in reality. Pre transition I was mostly male in my dreams, with a few female dreams here and there. Further along in transition now and mostly dream as a trans female, but acknowledged as female. Sometimes I will still have a dream where I am male though.