1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I don't know who I am

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Theboythat, Jan 11, 2014.

1. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    I was born a girl and for the majority of my childhood I believed I was a girl. When I was in sixth grade I learned what transgender meant but I still thought I was a girl. Then I started questioning my identity and now I'm pretty sure I'm a guy, but I was told that if you're actually trans* you'll know when you're really young. Also sometimes I feel okay with being a girl but then I start hating it again and I have no idea what this means.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The only thing I can tell you for certain is that the whole 'you know when you're little' is complete crap. SOME people do, many of us don't.

Tell me what does being 'a girl' mean to you>

3. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I agree with ElliaOtaku here, not everybody knows that they are trans* when they are little. I know that there are a few threads over in the Later in life forum where people have talked about realizing their trans* feelings later in life.

4. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    I sure as hell didn't when I was little!

5. Theboythat

Out Status:
    A few people
    Being a girl basically meant I felt like I was the person everyone I know thinks I am. And I was okay with female pronouns and stuff... I never really felt like I belonged all that much,even before I started questioning my identity but that might just be because ever since I was little people have been saying I'm weird and so that might have rubbed off on me. Honestly, I'm just confused about the whole thing.:bang:

6. EmilyAnn

I was 4 when I first tried to dress as a girl. I thought dresses were so pretty and I wanted to be pretty too.

7. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Being a girl basically meant I felt like I was the person everyone I know thinks I am."

I'm probably going to really annoy you now, but trust me it will help in the long run. What does this sentence mean? I mean specific things.

So if you had asked ME that question (knowing I was born male), then I might say that the person everyone THINKS I am might be:
    -Strong
    -Lazy
    -Looks like a viking/hobo
    -Angry
    -Messy

Things like that. I ask because I can tell you exactly how those things which seem obvious if you've spent more than 20 minutes with me in the last 20 years are completely wrong. They are things other people see in me but I don't see in myself.

In FACT, let's change the question a little. Can you write a handful of words in under the following headings:

How would people describe me:
    If someone you know reasonably well where to try and tell me about your looks and personality, what things would they say?

How would I describe myself:
    You have the benefit of being inside your own head, what words would you use to describe yourself or would you LIKE to think could be used, even if it would be difficult. As an example, in this column I would always have put "CUTE" but you'd never have heard it from another living soul.