1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gender Identity feelings!

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ArcticPixie, Jan 12, 2014.

1. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Well here I go, I'm so nervous...

So I'm 19 and i've been experiencing what I suspect is gender diasphoria for quite a while (since I was 14), and have only recently done the research into why im feeling the way I do, feelings of which have been getting stronger since the beginning of last year.

I've always been "one of the girls" when it comes to a lot of things, having been labelled a "lesbian stuck in a guys body" in my second last year of highschool, a label I gladly accepted, but now feel is not enough. Ive always found i felt female, despite playing rugby and other masculine sports for 13 years, playing such aports just didnt feel...right...not to mention my WHOLE team thought I was gay because of the way I "held myself", which after asking my bestfriend if it was true she simply answered "you act really girly, if that is what u mean". I've always had a fondness for female clothing, though ive been too nervous and self-conscious to buy, let alone wear, any such items, with the only girls clothing (I should be saying accesories) I wear in public being a heart pendent bracelet and a purple butterfly necklace, things I can hide shuld I run into people I know (clearly i havent come out yet, since im not certain). The joy I felt helping my female friends choose formal (prom) dresses kinda made me feel left out, almost depressed.

I've been reading up on some advice you guys have given other people, such as going onto other forums and basically acting the gender u know u r, and the fact is I've been doing exactly that since I was 14, and being treated like a girl makes me feel...happy...something being treated like a guy has never made me feel.

Is what im feeling diasphoria? Or am I just a really feminine guy? My doubt is due to people saying they felt this way strongly since puberty started and ive only just begun having these strong feelings last year.

Thanks in advance for ur time!
    --Pixie--

#1 ArcticPixie, Jan 12, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 12, 2014
  2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You'll be the second person I've told this weekend that the idea that every trans person knows about it from before puberty is complete hogwash. A lot of people do, a lot of people don't. That's not to say you definitely ARE mind you, just saying don't pay too much attention to the people who say you should just know about it already and you should get on with it.

Anyway on to your actual issues. There are two parts to this and you've addressed one of them nicely. You've told us about your personality and your gender expression. You feel girly and different. The other part which you haven't mentioned and which I'm interested in is your body. How do you feel about that?

3. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Body wise Im not happy, I feel too masculine and im not to fond of my facial hair, I shave it twice a day to make sure it stays gone. I hate it. I just feel annoyed at most aspects of my body.

Basically body wise im built like a muscled rugby player and I hate it, I want a feminine body.

#3 ArcticPixie, Jan 12, 2014
  4. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A feminine body could mean lots of things. What is your ideal?

5. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Whenever I tell myself want a female body it completely scares me, not in a way that feels wrong, but I kinda feel relieved that ive admitted it.

Although it makes me nervous admit it, this forums the first time i've talked to anyone about wat im feeling, so sorry if I cant put it into words well...

6. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's fine, and I don't have any intention of rushing you or forcing you to do something you aren't comfortable with.

In the mean time, if you aren't comfortable sharing it just now, just think for yourself and maybe write down somewhere some thoughts on the following questions:

If you could wake up tomorrow in a body and everyone would treat you like you'd always been that way, what would it look like?

When you think about this idea of being a girl, what feelings do you get? Are they good, bad, a mixture?

7. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Im comfortable talking about it, just arent quite good at puttng feelings and thoughts into words :slight_smile:.

I always go to sleep wishing id wake up a girl. So I guess waking up as a girl, not as a feminine guy, would be wat I want. I feel like it would be great to be a girl, like id be who I should be.

To be honest, it feels like its out of reach and not a reality, which I know isnt true, but still, it is what I want.

#7 ArcticPixie, Jan 12, 2014
  8. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is difficult! BUT we do need to do it. To be honest, even if you just write a bunch of mangled sentences and odd words I'll read and try and make sense of it. Don't worry too much about HOW it comes out just try and get it out there :slight_smile:

So think of some specifics. A girl. What does this girl look like? What does she feel like? Is she like you?

9. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Haha thanks a lot for your time!

I feel almost certain that I am transgender, but im nervous as to how my close friends and family will react. Whenever I think about it I get anxiety, I cant sleep becoz I feel upset. I keep thinking of wat my life wuldve been like if I had been born a girl, and wat my life culd be like if I woke up as a girl, and it makes me depressed when I realise that future just isnt possible the way I am. It feels like I was born in the wrong body and I just want out.

This girl is a little shorter then me, dresses similar to how I dress, has blue streaks in her hair (I always wanted streaks, but I culdnt bring myself to get them - again selfconscious). She feels proud, happy and doesnt hold back. She does what she wants.

I guess a lot like me, but in a female body.

#9 ArcticPixie, Jan 12, 2014
  10. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Sounds about right. Sorry to push that, just needed to confirm some things in my head :slight_smile:

So let us, just for a moment, imagine that nobody was going to care what you did, and tomorrow you could go out and change whatever the heck you wanted about your appearance. What would you change? Everyone would treat it as if you've always done it and it's the most natural thing in the world.

11. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Haha I thought that ramble sounded rather silly :S.

I'd definately become a girl. Probably be shorter and reduce how broad my shoulders r as well :slight_smile:.

#11 ArcticPixie, Jan 12, 2014
  12. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you stick around long enough to get to know who I am, you'll know I've written far sillier, sappier things than that many many times :grin:

OK. So now think more practically (because as nice as those things are and I totally agree, neither of us are getting them any time soon). You can go out tomorrow morning and do a bunch of things. Hair, clothes, whatever. You can get yourself made-over how ever you want and everyone would basically accept that it is how you've always been. You could go and get someone to do full zombie effects make-up and everyone would think you'd always been that way and it was fine. NOW what would you do?

13. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Haha thanks!

Weeeeeell id probs get hair extensions, those blue streaks ive always wanted, probs buy some unisex clothing, probably more accessories! More necklacea for sure! some more lip gloss because the one Im using is old and ew. Id probably get make up lessons tbh, since I tried putting some on once and it didnt end well. Buuuut id probably fully Cosplay a character from an Anime or manga if I culd pull it off! Ive always wanted to do that but Ive only ever wanted to Cosplay if I was a girl!

Id also probably go and start transitioning as well.

14. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Would it be mean of me to say I'm not suprised at all? No it wouldn't 'cause that's about what I'd do! :grin:

So then the big question is, what do you think you will do about it?

15. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Haha it's wat ive always wanted to do, ive even gone and planned out where I wuld buy the clothes and stuff :grin:, I just never did buy it all though :O.

Unisex clothing, lip gloss, skin products, more hair products, bracelets, necklaces...I culd go on, but ill stop myself :3.

Plan an appointment to get started, tho the first step is coming out to my parents, which im most scared of.

16. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Wow...the change in your confidence in this thread is amazing!

So what do you imagine you are going to tell them?

17. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    If clothes look cute together I always take note :slight_smile:.

My mum wuld probably take it hard, my dad, brother and sister, on the otherhand, wuld probably think its ridiculous. When ive planned in the past of coming out its always been with psychologists report in my hand saying its all true.

#17 ArcticPixie, Jan 12, 2014
  18. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    But what are you telling them...let me rephrase...what are you coming out AS.

19. ArcticPixie

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Should I say im transgender? Or say I have gender diasphoria first?

I dont know wat to say! :frowning2:

#19 ArcticPixie, Jan 12, 2014
  20. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to tell them anything, you want to be sure you know what it is you feel, and you need to know the definitions behind what you are thinking. People will here the 'trans' part and all they here is 'SEX CHANGE' unless they have a reason to think otherwise.

So you need to figure out (not necessarily right now) how far you think you might go with this, what it involves and what it will mean for them. Some people are happy with just a pronoun change and a gender neutral name, others need to socially transition, I know I want and needs medical changes. There's lots of levels, where do you sit?