1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Confused, questioning, and frustrated ftm?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Theredfox, Jan 12, 2014.

1. Theredfox

Hello,
    As for a little background, I am a female bodied person and I have been feeling gender confusion and animosity since my earliest memories.

I present very masculine. I have exclusively been wearing my hair short and have worn men's clothing as soon as I was able to express these desires to my parents. (Around three years old)

I started binding about four years ago, and cannot imagine not binding.
    I have aligned myself as close as my desired appearance as I can.

For the most part I feel pretty comfortable with myself. I have always felt insecure and anxious about my unbound chest in clothing. I'm pretty sure that what I'm experiencing is physical dysphoria.

I also experience some societal dysphoria when, for an example a waiter at a restaurant uses female pronouns to refer to me. It makes me feel uneasy and irks me.

Even though I am pretty comfortable with my body and appearance, about every three to four months I experience a bout of depression that has always has to do with gender and it absolutely consumes me. I get stuck in that gender world where all I can think about is gender and identities.. etc.

I feel that right now I occupy some space grey between male and female.
    Being female has never felt right to me, and I am not comfortable with it. However, While I am residing in the middle ground I still feel unsatisfied.

At the same time, I feel ...disappointed that my other option is to transition to becoming male.

If I could start over and choose to be male, I would. No questions asked.
    So why is it that I have the option and yet it still doesn't satisfy me? I feel that I don't really have anything in common with cismen, and I don't want to be a "man" and yet I do at the same time.

I just have this feeling inside me that I would be more confident, make friends more easily, and be respected if I was a guy. That I would be taken seriously. I feel that I've missed out on a lot of things and opportunities. I feel like in some ways my gender has been holding me back from doing the things in life that I am capable of doing.

But despite all these feelings I can't decide if transitioning is the right thing for me.
    Sometimes it seems so obvious to me that I am trans, and just too scared to face it. Yet other times I feel mostly content with how I am right now.

Can anyone relate or help? Should I maybe experiment with social transitioning to see if that feels right? I pretty much already present physically as a pre-t pre-op trans guy.

Maybe I should see a gender therapist?

I just feel so stuck.

2. CharlieHK

CharlieHK Guest

Welcome to EC.

Yeah, I'm there. I don't fancy a transition, but I like being male. That's what non-op means. A concious decision to go "surgery isn't my piece of cake". It doesn't make you any less of a trans* person.

I don't bind publicly, but in private yes. And when i get called "miss" i cringe.

I would talk to a gender therapist before starting a social transition however.