1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ftm voice and passing

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Ronin, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everyone. Well, it seems I actually pass not too bad by looks lately. I get called "son" or "he" and so on. I look like a young guy to people I guess. But I'm not actually on T yet so my voice is still a bit high for a male voice. It's sort of medium low for the female range, but still not enough of course. I asked a buddy of mine who knows what's up and he said not to worry about it. If anything he'd be more likely to think I was a gay guy or something which I would be totally cool with honestly, even though I'm not gay. But what do the rest of you all think? If you met some dude with a female range voice - it's uncommon but not impossible. There are bio guys out there like that after all, though I don't exactly have a beard to help sell things home like some of them do. Should I actually make the next leap and start trying to pass as an actual guy or wait till I one day get on T?
    Oh and I know there's an exercise to lower the voice a little.

2. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I listen to guys talk and I listen for what words they emphasize, and their sentence structure, and their pitch of voice throughout the sentence. Men (as a whole) seem to speak more monotonish then women. Their pitch of voice does not change as much within sentences as women's voices do.

If I try to talk more in this manner, people will pick me up as male. If I put more tone (for lack of a better way of putting it) in my voice, I will usually be gendered as female. I can even talk in my higher pitched voice, and this holds true. (I worked in a department store over Christmas break.. so, I used it to see what worked/did not work for passing.)

I would say that if you feel ready, then go for it! I've learned most of my stuff from attempting to pass at the workplace I am not out in..

3. Techno Kid

I would try to pass now... as you say some bio guys have a voice in that range too. :slight_smile:

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You can always pay attention to how other guys talk and "mimic" that. There's also something called "Boom Your Voice" on Youtube which seems interesting.

5. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Check out some YouTube videos? But to be honest, your voice is probably fine. :slight_smile:

6. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey everyone Thanks for the input! I think my confidence is boosted a little too =)
    I think I might try and give it a go.

#6 Ronin, Jan 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 14, 2014
  7. Ronin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is helpful. Would you say then that would be the main difference? I naturally speak in a pretty monotone and slow way unless I'm tense about something.