1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

so anyone work in a factory?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Miss Emma, Jan 13, 2014.

1. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

It hit the rumor mill!! Not sure where the leak came from. Any advice?

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I assume by that you mean people at work found out about you and are now talking about it all hush hush (or maybe not so hush hush if you know they are doing it...)

I guess...own it? If they mention it, say hell yes and see what happens? That's got to be the worst bit of advice I've ever given...not because it's BAD advice just...UGH...even I think it feels half arsed, I apologise!

3. AlexisAnne

I think Ellis is right on this one. It sucks that it came out this way, but your best bet is probably to own it and move forward. You can try and deny it, and press the rumor down, but rumors like that tend to have staying power. And later, when things go forward and you end up having to come out, people are going to remember how you denied it before.

I don't know how comfortable you are with your management, but your best bet it's probably going to be too sit down with your manager and an HR rep and talk this through with them before actively accepting the rumor. That way you guys can talk about guideliness and expectations on your end and there's and when you do fully acknowledge the rumor, hopefully they'll have your back if anyone gives you trouble. That's probably the best route.

4. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Thank you. HR is gonna be in the loop tomorrow. Told my supervisor tonight about the gossip. He heard it said I was on estro already. Not started yet, people!It's like high school all over again! And that was 14 years ago for me!!

5. BradThePug

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I work at a department store.. and it's hit the rumor mill too. Since I'm back at college, I'm going to send a letter to HR at the store. I figure that's the best option, since the only other thing that's going to happen is me being outed while I'm at school.

6. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

I'm just dumbfounded. 2 people I've told there. One in sept when she also came out to me, in confidence, a lesbian. One is my trainer on a chrome operation. Told him b/c he is open minded and not judgmental. He knows a Trans guy himself. Plus he's a minority so he knows about judgmental people in this white-bred town.

I'm going to hr tomorrow. Maybe out to them, maybe not. Depends who I see

7. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    At least you don't have to worry about them finding out now.
    And yeah, just own it and carry on as you are. :slight_smile:
    Good luck with HR. :slight_smile:

8. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

It's just really hard to own it when you live in a not-even-remotely queer friendly town. I'm gonna have to, though. gonna talk to my HR and figure things out.

9. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

SOOOOO ... I went in to discuss this with HR. Found out the dirt going around is that my wife is going to divorce me because I "am taking estro and want to grow boobs." When did I start hrt?!? And why is my life suddenly so interesting?

Thanks all for your advice. I DID go to HR yesterday about the gossip. I told them there's truth to it but I wanted the gossip stopped. And that it be found out who spilled so they could know it's not okay to spread stuff like that.

I am going to take the advice and own it. If asked. Obviously it isn't their business, but they're asking reach other behind my back and not asking me about it myself.

10. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hope you don't think it's condescending for someone younger than you to say you were totally brave for doing that, but I'm going to!

That took real guts, and deciding to own it if someone asks takes even more! Well done :slight_smile:

11. Miss Emma

Miss Emma Guest

Ellia, thank you Girl! You don't know how much that means to me. Age is just a number, so no it's not condescending at all. I'm flattered!