1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Explanation

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by sticky, Jan 14, 2014.

1. sticky

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hello, so a few weeks ago at school I was talking to my friend and I told him that I am transgender, well he didn't believe me he said that I was very masculine and not feminine enough he is not ignorant he is just stupid sometimes but anyways he thinks this way because I am friends with another transgender person (FtM) and he acts very masculine and never acted feminine. He openly accepts him he still accepts me he just thinks that I am lying. Should I try to justify my answer because I know that I can its hard for me to fit into my wrong gender but it is even harder to avoid conflict and being found out when I am not ready. Or should I Just leave my reasoning as is. I just really want him to acknowledge that I am a she and not a he ya know.

2. Gen

Gen

You aren't required to prove anything to him. I would just maintain confidence in your own judgement of who you are and leave him to believe whatever he wants. He will probably come around once he recognizes that your feelings aren't changing.

3. sticky

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Thanks for the advice I hope he comes around soon as I greatly want his support as he is one of my closest and only friends wow that sounded so sad as I was typing anyways thanks!

4. Mogget

Depending on where you live, you may be the first IRL trans person he's ever met. That means that trans people haven't actually been a reality to him in a visceral sense, well, ever. Which means he's likely confused as hell by what you've told him. It's not your job to educate him, but my guess is he has no idea how hurtful what he said was. Give him time to get more used to it, develop more friendships with people who do get it, and over time things should get better.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want his support, going out of your way to PROVE this to him won't do it. It'll just make him feel inclined to stop you getting your mind hooked on something he doesn't see any evidence for, like he would if you suddenly got wicked into drugs! It's the evidence he can't, and won't ever be able to see that means the most. You need to remind him of that fact. That you are, and it's not his place to tell you you're not girly enough to be a girl.

Also while I'm thinking about it, there is also the possibility that he's just not immediately comfortable with the idea of one of his friends being a girl all of a sudden anyway, and the idea that you don't act girly is his way of trying to prevent the change!