1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

pronoun challenge

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by TraceElement, Jan 15, 2014.

1. TraceElement

So I'm biologically female, but I don't always feel like a girl... some days I just want my boobs and curves gone and never get them back. I have been feeling like this more and more recently. With that said, for the "general public" I identify as girl for a few reasons. I'm not quite sure what label to use that accurately describes what I feel, and I feel like people won't understand, although I know people are becoming more aware of the the topic.
    While out shopping today, I was called miss, lady, and darling. It just didn't sit right with me, and is still bugging me. I get that people look at me and see female, but still. I would rather be called more more gender neutral pronouns like kid, you and boo boo.
    It's just still sworling around in my head and am still a little confused why I am feeling wayyyy more Boyish-y than usual and is kind of unnerving me.
    If anyone has any advice or point me in some sort of way, it would be GREATLY appreciated.

2. Just Jess

I think if I felt the way you described I would probably use the genderqueer label. It still has a lot of room for different kinds of people. Or just trans*.

It'd be nice if I could just walk next to you and pretend all the "miss, lady, and darling" were directed at me and give you all my "sir, man, and dude" :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

3. Nick07

lol, that made me chuckle.

OP, you can try to ask your friends to call you differently (they?), and you will see how it feels. We used to have this possibility in my language too. It was a super polite way of speaking, but it became archaic, and no one uses it anymore.

#3 Nick07, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014
  4. TraceElement

Nick and cassie, I appreciate that you both took time to respond. You both put me a little more at ease.
    Cassie, thank you for pointing out the term genderqueer. I have heard the term, but never considered it to apply to me.
    Nick, thank you for pointing out the fact that I could always ask people to call me something other than girl. For some reason it never crossed my mind.