1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is it possible to officially ftm transition without having a surgery downthere?

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by Dani9, Jan 15, 2014.

1. Dani9

Basically that's it.

I am supposedly neutrois. I'm not a man, not a woman, and i've been feeling da whole lot of the gender dysphoria throughout all my life, mean i want my breasts to be gone for good. I feel like i prefer to be treated socially as a guy, because it's okay, while being a girl feels really uncomfortable.

The question is simple: does the law in any country allow official sex change, ftm in my case, without me getting a dick, but if i'll just cut off my breasts?

I wouldn't want a dick for goodness sake in my life. I just want that letter to be "M" in my passport(after getting rid of boobs, i'll do it anyway), so it'd be legitimate for me to present as male. Cause while there's an "F", i'd feel like i'm lying and it'd stress me out so much i can't even tell, i'm already very anxious on a regular basis...

Maybe this law differs in different countries, maybe somewhere it's possible. I'm asking this because i'm planning on leaving my country anyways.

2. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hell yes, in fact if it's not something you seriously need to happen, nobody (save for a few idiots) would suggest you have it done! Surgery is only ever something you should do if you are sure you want it, if you don't want it, don't have it!

EDIT: While I think about that, as for the M on your passport it depends where you are in the world. In the UK for example it wouldn't be a problem because as far as I know you just need a Gender Recognition Certificate and while they aren't easy to get they don't require you to have any surgery

3. Dani9

Wow, how cool is that, i actually didn't expect it'd be possible... I'm asking exactly about do they require me to have a penis construction to change that F(well, Ж in my country) to M. And if there is a place where they don't, i'm happy then. I haven't decided yet where i'll be moving, so it can pretty much influence my decision... So, UK is cool with that. Thanks a lot!

---------- Post added 15th Jan 2014 at 10:56 PM ----------

Wait, one more question, do they accept any of non-binary identities? Is it like you have to prove you're feeling male to get the paper? Or you can prove that you're, for example, neutrois, but you need transitioning, and they still can let you change your documentation ftm?

4. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you mean can you get your gender marker changed with top surgery, yes. It's very much possible. At least here, as long as you say and show that you've had "the necessary proceedures" done, you can get your marker change. Hell, a vague letter from your doctor/therapist does wonders too.

Then again, this could vary from country to country. As for the non-binary crowd, I'm not too sure. I'm sure if you check out a passport website it could be helpful or see if any trans resource site has info on gender marker changes in your country.

5. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't THINK the UK passports recognize non-binary genders, but don't quote me on it...

6. Nick07

Before you move, ask also if you can marry as trans. I am not from the UK, but I believe I heard a rumour that it is not as easy as one would think. I wish I was wrong though.

7. Miiaaaaa

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure they don't.

But yeah, you can officially transition without surgery down there. :slight_smile:

8. Nick07

Australia does, doesn't it? And perhaps Germany, but it may be restricted to intersex people.

9. BookDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I vaguely recall someone telling me that if you've got as far as getting your gender legally recognized, then you can marry in the UK the same as anyone else...I think you'd have to civil partner if you didn't have the legal recognition and wanted to marry. That is of course making the bold assumption that you'd enter into a straight marriage anyway...if not, just reverse those things I said.

10. Dani9

Hey, you know what, i'm happy now, knowing it's possible... Thank you everyone for responses so so much!

I kind of missed out things about marriage. I heard somewhere just recently that in some country(and it could be UK, i honestly don't remember though) trans people can't get married. Idk if they can't, like, at all, ever, or there are any special conditions to that... But yes, that is important by all means.

I really like that Australia has the third gender, good for Australia!
    Although i'm actually talking more about the order of getting the letter from my future doctor/therapist/whomever. Would it be legitimate for a doctor to give me that letter if i'm telling him i'm not a man, but neutrois? If i keep insisting that "i'm neutrois, i want my gender marker male", would it be the case for him to admit that it can be made? It's just that maybe doctors don't have rights to give me their permission unless i prove that i am male. Maybe he says "oh you can't do that because you are not proving me you wanna be a man, and non-binary identity is not enough for sex change, so no".
    I presume though that it depends on the doctor. So do i have to just find a doctor who acknowledges non-binary people, or am i wrong?

I tried researching how things are in my country, but didn't find any info that'd make it clear, and it seems like they require a letter that all surgeries are done, soo.... And also i'm so sure psychiatrists over here aren't even aware of non-binary things.
    I mean, if i had to do it here, i'd have to at least pretend like i want to be a man for all the doctors. I couldn't be honest with them. Cause i don't want to be a man, i just want male marker and pronoun. I'd have to lie relentlessly for years and make it convincing enough...

11. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I heard some country(ies) offer an X on passports or some form of a document now which is pretty cool, but I'm not sure if you're from one of those places.