1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Strange Phenomenon

Discussion in 'Gender Identity and Expression' started by ember, Jan 15, 2014.

1. ember

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Has anyone heard of the phenomenon where, when you hear a word for the first time, suddenly you hear it a lot? As strange as it sounds, the same thing happened to me with knowing about transsexuality. In the few months after I found out that trans* was a thing, I suddenly heard about trans* issues and stuff without even looking for it. As soon as I found out suddenly I heard about Chelsea Manning on the news, and I found a spambot on another forums for gender transition, and I heard the name Chaz Bono for the first time, and someone mentioned it in some webcomic, and I found an article about someone coming out as trans* in Russia, and I saw trans* gender choices on another forums, and I heard a review for Dallas Buyer's Club, and someone talked about a transsexual on the radio, and the list goes on. This was all in the few months since I found out that trans* was a real thing, when before then I never heard ANYTHING about it, besides maybe some vague understanding of intersex people. Has this sort of thing happened to anyone else?

2. suninthesky

That happened to me with the word caveat!

3. 51chameleons

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I think it's called the "Red Car Phenomenon"- you buy a red car, and suddenly you are seeing them everywhere because now you're looking for them.